Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Fun and General Chat Healthy Recipe Sharing “The Magic Pill” : Documentary on Healthy Eating

• “The Magic Pill” : Documentary on Healthy Eating

Posted by Charlene Marshall on May 22, 2019 at 7:56 am

Healthy eating has been a popular discussion topic among our forums since their inception over a year ago now. It seems to be a very important topic among our members, and both myself and my co-columnist MarK Koziol believe in the importance of a healthy diet for those living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). With all the information available online about healthy eating, including which “fad diets” to follow (or not follow), along with how food can help our bodies while living with a chronic illness; it can be difficult to know where to turn to for credible information.

While I am no expert by any means, I do like to watch various documentaries and television shows on various approaches to healthy eating. I also enjoy listening to pod casts about this topic, especially during long drives in the car!

A popular fad diet at the moment is the ketogenic diet. While I don’t abide by this fully, I do eat low/minimal carb and almost entirely sugar-free. Unfortunately, I struggle to digest the high fats of the ketogenic diet, even if they are healthy fats. Side note: for anyone who may suffer from a heart condition either linked directly to IPF, or unrelated, always check with your doctor before trying the ketogenic diet. The required consumption of good fats, even though they are healthy for us, can be damaging for those living with cardiac disease, or so I’ve heard. That being said, I am interested in learning more about this low carb, high good-fats (LCHF) lifestyle, as I know many people who have benefitted from adapting to this kind of eating.

One of my cousins told me about a documentary that she’d seen showcasing this type of lifestyle eating, and she said it was very informative. I recently checked it out on Youtube, and the video is called: The Magic Pill, which you can find HERE. It discusses how we shouldn’t be eating “low fat” foods, and how our bodies don’t really have much use for processed carbs like bread, flour or rice. While I am not endorsing the documentary, or encouraging people to eat a certain way; I did find The Magic Pill very interesting. As a result, I thought I’d share it here as many of our members are interested in healthy eating options. Enjoy.

Back in September of 2016, a healthy curry chicken salad with antioxidants recipe was posted on Pulmonary Fibrosis News and I just recently came across it. You can find that recipe HERE if you’re interested.

If you’ve seen “The Magic Pill” documentary: what did you think?

What foods help you mange your IPF/PF?

Are there any you no longer tolerate?

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Cynthia

May 23, 2019 at 4:20 am

I was only diagnosed with ILD about 10 days ago and they’re still trying to determine which disease I have, but they strongly suspect RA/autoimmune. I felt so impotent waiting for treatment that I put myself on the Autoimmune Protocol, which is like Paleo but with more fruits. I have to say I feel a lot better. The tightness in my chest went away and so did the dizziness/brain fog. I spent a fortune at Whole Foods getting my pantry set up, but at least it’s given me something proactive to do while waiting for what’s next. I’m not doing any grains right now but I do use the cassava flour tortillas a lot. They’re not bad.

• Charlene Marshall

May 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us regarding this new Autoimmune Protocol/diet. I’ve not heard about this, but it sounds like a good one to follow for those of us with this disease. That is great that your chest tightness went away! Maybe this is something to try for me as I am really noticing the brain fog/dizziness as of late. Being able to take back some control when it comes to our diet is helpful, in my experience at least. Kudos to you for looking into this and abiding by it. So glad you’re feeling better!

Regards,
    Charlene.

• Timothy Middleton

May 23, 2019 at 12:29 pm

I personally don’t diet but I do drink two organic meals replacement (Garden of life from Sprouts) shakes with probiotics and veggies but then I eat what I want once a day just not alot of it. It’s unfair for us to have this condition and can’t eat anything either. I love pizza, wings, a beer occasionally and all the other good unhealthy foods but I moderate. The shakes I’ve been doing for about two months a man I do feel a lot better. A lot less joint pain and icky feeling.

• Cynthia

May 23, 2019 at 2:07 pm

I hear you, Timothy. I’m not supposed to do any alcohol on AIP, but this was not the week I was ready to give that up entirely. I’ve been drinking either a one-ounce martini or three ounces of wine before dinner. Even that little bit makes me feel a little better. If I’m put on meds where alcohol is forbidden, or if there’s some strong evidence that alcohol is detrimental to my long-term health, I’ll follow the doctor’s orders. In the meantime, I think I’m throwing myself into this AIP diet to take my mind off my recent diagnosis, and as Charlene noted, to give me some sense of control over it.

• Charlene Marshall

May 23, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for sharing the idea about the shakes as two replacement meals per day, but then eating a solid food meal on top of that. Can I find those shakes on Amazon? They sound like a good option as long as the sugar content in them isn’t too high, which I suspect it wouldn’t be. If you have a moment, can you send me the link of where you order them? I’m curious to look into these a bit further as I often struggle with solid food meals just due to fatigue. I’d love to try them if you feel better on them! I can probably just Google them too likely right? Glad they are helping you!

Charlene.