Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Healthcare Questions These tips have helped me.

• These tips have helped me.

Posted by Chaz on February 6, 2024 at 2:10 pm

Greetings to All:

I am a 79-year-old-male with interstitial lung disease and I would be remiss if I didn’t pass along three tips that I believe have helped stabilize me. They are:

1. Make SURE your home is feather-free–particularly your bedding.

2. Shine a near infrared lamp on your chest for twelve minutes each day.

3. Do sixteen reps of Chinese Lung Exercises weekly.

My story:

In July, 2022, my internist heard velcro in my lungs during my annual exam and sent me for a CT scan. The scan showed “Extensive subpleural reticulation and interstitial thickening predominantly throughout the right lung…no honeycombing…no bronchiectasis…most suggestive of NSIP.”

It then took me three months to get an appointment with the pulmonologist that my internist recommended. In the meantime, I ditched my feather pillows and got polyester, bought a near infrared lamp and began the Chinese Lung Exercises. Even though I was asymptomatic, the doctor wanted to put me on prednisone, albuterol and take another CT scan. I declined. He then insisted that I see him again and it took four months to get another appointment. By then, my lung functions tested better. He never told me the specifics and I didn’t ask. I figured as long as I could breathe it was irrelevant and told him if I deteriorated I would go on oxygen but not the drugs. He wanted to see me again in six months. I declined.

Conclusion: My oximeter readings consistently run 97 and above and my internist hears less velcro. I have no symptoms of interstitial disease and am convinced my scarring is from sleeping on feather pillows. In other words, I have acute hypersensitivity pneumonitis. I am also convinced that if I hadn’t ditched the pillows, I would be in bad shape right now so PLEASE, make sure your home is feather-free.

Link for lamp: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TDKHXD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link for exercises: https://cdn.amegroups.cn/static/public/APM-21-71-supplementary.pdf

Chaz replied 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.