Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge What portable oxygen concentrator do you recommend?

• Mark maron

May 7, 2024 at 2:10 pm

its based on your liter flow.. A portable O2 is NOT recommended if you are on 4lts or more. They are pulse activated and they are setting NOT liter flow at all and that is the issue with them, If you put your setting to 5 you are only getting about 21% oxogen or basically 1.75 to 2.25 liters. You are much beaten off traveling with a M60 tank that will last on teh average 6 hours, You can get 2 or more from you 02 supplier and know you are safe.

• Bill6

May 7, 2024 at 3:16 pm

I use the Imogen G5 portable concentrator and it works well, but it’s expensive. As noted above the one through six levels on my portable don’t necessarily equate to LPM. I have my portable on level 5 and my home continuous flow unit is at 3 LPM. Imight suggest, which ever units you are looking at, try to find one that has a 12 V adapter so you can plug the unit into a cigarette lighter receptacle on your car for power. For a 5 hour trip it’s a lot better than using a bunch of batteries. Good luck with your search.

• george-poulsen

May 7, 2024 at 3:49 pm

–My experience only. I’m 84 and been on these portables for several years now.

Liable to be different opinions here, and not willing to argue my point. I have used my Inogen One G4 that produces settings of L1-L3, and I am now using an Inogen G5 that produces settings from L1-L6. I’m on 24/7 and if traveling the portable units can be run 24/7 with batteries or without a battery if the 120VAC charger is plugged into the wall or car charger is used. The desktop charger plugged into the Inogen seems to top it off much faster than the little charger unit that charges the battery out of the Inogen. I have also found that carrying on my shoulder/s is unbearable so I use the accessory two wheel trolley for my Inogen G5 and quite easy to maneuver or pick up and collapse handle and carry if need to.

On batteries I get about 2+/- hours per battery at L5 on the G5 portable unit. So, I have been purchasing my own batteries to have sufficient O2 time during the day and charged backups on portable and just keep rotating the batteries through the charger. I have a 120VAC charger that is on my desk too and simply plug G5 in most of the day at my desk to keep it topped off.

Bear in mind that if you buy additional batteries for total freedom, (which I do) that Inogen charges a bunch (about twice what Amazon does) and they have a 1 year warranty. However, Amazon sells the same identical battery (they say) for almost half the price $268 or so, but my experience so far is you either have to buy an extension warranty for $100 for each one or its non-returnable after a few weeks and only seems to last me 6 months, likely due to my rapid turnover by using batteries 100% during 17 hours a day. So I take my chances and just hope that each Amazon battery lasts longer than 6 months and I’m home free.

If you do the math it seems to me they produce roughly equivalent Lpm to pulsed air/oxygen for each minute that you breathe in at about 20 breathes in per minute and I believe it is about equivalent to the L-x setting.

However….I have found the best way for me is to not count too much on the L setting anyway, which is not highly accurate, and to instead adjust to keep my O2 Saturation (finger unit) to an acceptable level. For me that’s around 88-92 or better if sitting. At nite I use the Inogen “At-Home” on setting 4 and my WelVue recording watch shows a steady graph at about 98% all night when sleeping.

Important is that both of my Inogens are portable and when traveling I plug them into the car 12V power outlet and it keeps the Inogen well charged and topped off on arrival. I have heard others say that oxygen bottles are better but you can’t plug them in or re-filI easily on the fly. I know I’m heading that way but will also investigate how portable I can make one of the heavier 58# 10LPM units. Thinking about mounting one on my senior scooter along with maybe a small battery driven inverter and then using a car hitch platform for scooter and compressor/generator. Maybe someone knows or has tried this?