Reducing Lung Fibrosis: A Study Involving Metformin

• Reducing Lung Fibrosis: A Study Involving Metformin

Posted by Charlene Marshall on July 9, 2018 at 10:06 pm

A recently published article (July 2018) based on research from the University of Alabama at Birmingham revealed an unexpected benefit of the drug Metformin, which was historically used in diabetes management through cell metabolism. As the article states, this advancement (if proven in humans) is exciting since effective treatment options in reducing lung fibrosis are lacking.

The two individuals leading this research at UAB are professors in the Department of Medicine program, and have specialized in treating patients for ARDS, Pulmonary Medicine, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine. As a result, I’d like to believe the credibility of their research and hope that the next phases of this study gives those of us living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) a hope for treatment, beyond lung transplantation.

To read the summary article on this research, please click here.

If you’re interested in reading the full article, please connect with me via private message on our forums. I am trying to track down the free PDF version of the article, but have not yet been able to do so. If someone is interested in it, I’ll try my best to find it.

What are your thoughts on this recent revelation of a safe and effective FDA-approved medication potentially reversing lung fibrosis for our disease?

I look forward to hearing from you!
    Charlene.

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Cloud Mason

July 10, 2018 at 4:03 pm

This is very good news indeed. I look forward to continued research with Metformin!

• Charlene Marshall

Organizer
      July 11, 2018 at 7:40 pm

Hi Cloud,

I completely agree! I am also curious about the continued research into Metformin and its role in reversing lung damage/scarring. Hopefully it continues to reveal promising results 🙂

Hope you’re doing well!
      Sincerely,
      Charlene.