Pulmonary Fibrosis: Meet the Lungs

In this video from khanacademymedicine, learn what the lungs are. “Every time you take a breath, oxygen makes it way into your lungs.”

Learn more about pulmonary fibrosis: http://bit.ly/1lfMsiZ

1. Mary says:

I would love to see a video or words of when you are diagnosed with IPF in stages early on. Eveytime I have to see a doctor now I don’t know if it’s because I have IPF and could this a symptom, I know of what is put in theses posts greatful for that but the Marjorities are IPF patients a lot farther down the line from what I seem to have, hell, I can’t even write it out right so complicated, so contradictory and I don’t know anything other than I am going to die from it.

• Diana Marcotte says:

My husband was diagnosed with IPF in February 2001, and although he is failing now, he continued to work, fish, hunt, etc. for the first five years or so. His only symptom back then was a relentless cough. Then one day, out of the blue, he ended up in the hospital and has been on O2 24/7 since. He is now in the end stages and can no longer even walk. His O2 drops down into the 60s and 70s just from standing up to get from his bed to his wheelchair or from his wheelchair to the toilet. He has passed out numerous times from low O2, and has even convulsed a few times while passed out. From what we’ve learned, there is no “normal” progression and no “normal” life span. It is what it is.

• Susan Conly-Caviness says:

So sorry to hear of your struggles. My father progressed very much like your husband. We were with him for it all. Sending prayers your way.

2. Rose Sottilo says:

I heard there are no “stages” to IPF, so how do you know what stage you are in. What do I ask my pulmonary DR to get a time frame on my mortality.
    What is advanced?
    What is early stages?
    I was just diagnosed in June.
    Pulmonary Doc said it was very advanced. But I still go to work each day and walk in from the back parking lot.
    I still take my dog for walks. Luckily she is a very old dog and walks slowly.
    I am on oxygen at night.
    I have an elliptical that I can do 20+ minutes on. Some days I need oxygen when working out. I use my oximeter when i feel breathless.
    I ride my bike on a flat trail. I can no longer do the hills.
    I can go down stairs, but going up stairs forget it.

• Tim Bossie says:

We would say that you are doing fantastic Rose. IPF is not an illness with concrete mortality limits. Some people can have “advanced” stages and live for several years.

• Cristina says:

I spoke with several dr’s and did a lot of research. So,e people can live with it for more than 15 years. The fact that you still do all that, it’s fantastic. Keep it up! It expands/ maintains your lungs capacity.
        My doctor said that some people never get worse or advance very slowly. Best of health and best of luck to you!

3. Susan says:

First, I must say NEVER take ANY doctor’s word on anything, UNTIL you check it out with a 2nd and 3rd opinion! Experience has taught me that! I have found that while I have a good idea of what is wrong (I am an RN), they always disagree, and then after much TIME, testing, and MONEY, they end up being wrong and I am right.
    It is imperative that you get anything checked out right away. That is what I did for 2 yrs. for a little cough that I KNEW was not allergy related. And I was told constantly that is was ALLERGY. When I finally refused to leave the examining room UNTIL I got a chest x-ray, an angry Dr. (who turned out NOT to even BE a doctor/MD) finally ordered the x-ray! The next day my primary Dr. called me with bad news!
    Turns out I had a FATAL bacterial Lung Infection, AND Interstitial Lung Disease, which is also fatal!! Some Doctor, huh? I got rid of the Infection, but am now battling the IPF, and I have some questions on THAT.
    IF I really have it, why do I have NO reduced lung function, never get out of breath, and I feel great ALL the time, I have NO other health issues, and take NO Rx drugs! Yet I am so sick I am told I have only 3-5 years left to live? I am 75, though NO ONE believes it, not me, nor my family, nor my friends, I can out perform most people half my age.
    I have a handicapped 15 yr. old child still at home, and I PLAN on living another 35 years, just 4 more than 3 of my grandparents.
    OR – if I do have it, is the lack of symptoms due to my FIGHTING for the truth, before it got really bad? OR – do I still need to keep double checking on the inconsistency of (or lack of) symptoms. I choose the latter – I am a fighter, and the only way you can lose, is to quit fighting for the truth!
    So, I am on this site because I choose to continue to FIGHT until I find information that makes 100% sense!
    I am considering doing the Stem Cell treatment, and figure that IF I have IPF, I am a perfect candidate for the trials, because it is early on, and I have NO other health issues to cause problems! I would love to know other possibilities available. Wish there was a RELIABLE site that would address the options available. Thanks, Susan in Texas

• Tim Bossie says:

Wow Susan. First, I must say that you are absolutely correct in that we should always a) educate ourselves and b) get second and third opinions especially when dealing with illnesses like PF. Second, you sound like an amazing person and completely capable of living another 35 years. We (PFNews) hope that you continue to find the information you need here to keep fighting and taking care of that precious child.

4. Connie says:

Your video was very helpful. I had never been told about the E tanks acting like a missile if I got in an accident or a valve broke. So today I will go to my car and stand them upright and strapped in. I have copd and am on 3 liters of oxygen. My home is old and I use it most times at home, outside and along with a cpap at night. Dust, newsprint, pet hair and pollen seem to bother me most. I have a portable concentrator I take everywhere. I also got a rollator with seat and basket to hold the POC when I go shopping etc. I have to use my nebulizer 3 to 4 times a day so I “fought” for a portable one. I have been on oxygen for 1 year and it is a learning experience. But like is good!!!!