12 Facts About Pulmonary Fibrosis Prognosis and Life Expectancy

Pulmonary fibrosis (PF) is a chronic and progressive lung disease where the air sac in the lungs (alveoli) becomes scarred and stiff making it difficult to breathe and get enough oxygen into the bloodstream. There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to PF prognosis and life expectancy, so we’ve put together a list of important facts to know with help from Pulmonary Fibrosis MD, the Lung Institute, and healthline.com.

• The overall prognosis of someone with pulmonary fibrosis will differ from person to person depending on their age, overall health, lifestyle choices and the severity of the disease when diagnosed.
  • There are four different stages of pulmonary fibrosis: mild, moderate, severe and very severe.
  • Pulmonary fibrosis patients are advised to undergo pulmonary rehabilitation where they will learn all about the disease, the treatments available, breathing techniques and be placed on an exercise program.

MORE: Seven reasons why pulmonary rehabilitation is important for PF patients.

• As the condition progresses, a person with pulmonary fibrosis is at risk of other health complications including heart attack or failure, stroke, pulmonary embolism, and other lung diseases and infections.
  • There is currently no cure for pulmonary fibrosis but treatments and therapies are improving all the time.
  • The average life expectancy of someone with pulmonary fibrosis is three to five years but if it’s caught early, treatment can help slow down the progression of the disease.

MORE: Eight tips for protecting your lungs from unhealthy air.

1. John Shaw says:

Too many pop ups, plus I don’t really beleive some of your facts, ie: death in 3-5 years, not true, thats an old myth.

• Tim Bossie says:

Hi John… these facts are those universal guidelines that are “accepted” by doctors and researchers. However, that does not mean that they are set in stone. Many people live much longer than 5 years. In many cases up to 15.

• Judy Franklin says:

I am 63, never had any health problems, never smoked and a little over weight. My husband has irritable bowel syndrome so we eat a lot of chicken, fish and vegetables.

I was coughing over a year and had shortness of breath, and was being treated for asthma. My son told me I needed to see a Pulmonary Doctor. I went to him in Feb 2017 and was diagnosed in April after all the tests. I am taking Ofev and praying, trying to eat right and exercising.

I will pray for you all. I am scared to because of the unknown,
        I have claimed Psalms 118:17 (read God’s word and have someone pray with you. This is our only hope.

• Jeffrey Carter says:

I have had IPF for 3 years… so far so good, no noticeable problems… I am on the Paleo diet, no starches, basically… bread, potatoes, rice, etc. That’s it so far… No medications.

• Dave Nandalal says:

HI Judy franklin I`ll pray with you.My wife has also been diagonosed with this phenomenon disease for a few years now and yes it`s a mystery how these things develop especially when the person has never smoked or consumed alcohol.This is a real battle but the best care in the world is the love and support of your family. Trust in god my dear

• Tonya says:

My doctor informed me that lung damage from PF is different from the damage caused by smoking. While smoking does not help the condition it is usually caused by exposure to harmful chemicals. I was exposed to chemicals at a plant where I was employed and that is how they said I got it.

• Josho says:

.. “faith as a grain of mustard seed” .. the Lord will support you and look after you. That psalm is a great comfort and will give you something that will go through into eternity…. keep praying in faith ..

• Gentry says:

Jehovah God can make us strong with promises such as those at Revelation 21:3,4 My aunt was just rediagnosed with this disease(she has dementia and was diagnosed 10 years ago but didn’t tell anyone). Now she is in the very late stages.

• Kathy L says:

Hi Judy, I was just diagnosed a month ago with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. They are going to start me on OFEV . I was just wondering how you are doing if maybe we can stay in touch? Thanks for listening Kathy

• Mary Burgess says:

Hi my name is Mary Burgess from Tn, I’m 62yrs old. I was diagnosed with PF in January of 2017. I’m testing for transplant now, but it doesn’t look promising.in Mark 10:27 GOD says “With GOD All things are possible”. I received a call yesterday from Pulmonologist saying PF is progressing quickly now. I’m ready to go but hate leaving my Family. GOD has promised I’ll see them again one day.

GOD bless you
            Mary B

• Dixie Rose says:

Hi Kathy, I’ve been on OFEV for a yr. now, it has side effects like diareha and upset stomach, but I believe my cough is better I was diagnose when I was 65 I’m 72 now so I’m beting the odds I take Serrapetase and N.A.C. supplements also try to eat with the oFev as it makes a big difference !! Stay in touch if I can help Dixie

• Galen says:

Hi kathi. I was just diagnosed with IPF in January 2018. Started OFEv last month. Hanging in but haven’t told my adult children yet. Planning to in May when they come to visit. It’s been hard keeping this to myself and wife. I don’t want gold around me treating me like a dead man.

• Michael says:

My father is in the final stages and now entering Hospice. The biggest surprise was how quickly he declined in the fifth year. he was playing tennis four years ago.
            Get on a lung transplant list early and keep in touch with the transplant team.

• Steve says:

I am 63 now. I was diagnosed in October 2009. I exercise three times a week for 2 houra at a gym and do a yoga class also. I have been taking Ofev for about 2 or 3 years and it definitely helps. Although, my regular Pft tests keep getting worse, I still have just shortness of breath when I climb stairs or do cardio exorcises. So there is hope. I know its coming. I am ready for the Transplant, going to Mass, and enjoying family and life in the meantime.

• Chris Shott says:

Tim, my team of Dr. At National Jewish Health tell me 3-5 years is from an old study that they no longer regard as valid.

• Lin says:

I wish it was. My dad died after 4 years fighting this. He did extremely well the first 3 years then went downhill the 4th. The suffering was horrible. That’s just average that’s all they’re saying.

• Leah says:

My sweet beautiful momma lost her fight with pulmonary lung fibros christmas 2017 the last 3 mths of her life were hard on us all very depressing and heartbreaking, watching her slowly die and couldnt do shit about,but she lived more than 5 years almost 7 i believe,.my heart goes out to everyone with this disease ans for those who have to take care of a loved one. She was 66 when god took her from me
        MY grandma died when she was 61 and my uncle died at 56 December 2017 never knew he had it and my uncle who will soon be 61 has it as well but going for a lung transplant, this disease has taken alot of my loved ones.. i.am 45 i go to my lung doc tomorrow for my test reaults im just being cautious
        God blesa every one

• Susan barnett says:

My friend was 46 she found out 7 weeks before she died that she has this ,we are totally gutted we thought she was going into hospital with a chest infection

2. I have PF am being treated for autoimmune pf w/ micofenolate 1000mg. BID. Was turned down for lung trans. due to kidney problems that disappeared after I quit using ( Etodalac ) a pain med the VA had put me on. Have not been back w/ the Drs at Wash U. /Barnes in St. Louis since I got the clean bill. Don’t know if they will reconsider or not.I showed 80% lung function on stress testing –but took 6 liter of O2 after 2 min walking on level surface and they don’t know why. Have had broncoscopic exams and biopsies and all of their tests.

• Betty lintern says:

Hello Judy – I am a 74yo from AU – diagnosed in April 2016 – have clubbing on fingers and toes plus shortness of breath – specialist won’t give me any medication – not sure what’s available in Australia – pray for strength to cope – God will cure me if it’s his will – stay positive- will pray for you all

• Michael Donoghue says:

Hello Betty
            Regretfully I can confirm that neither Australia nor New Zealand will prescribe Nintedanib nor Pirfenidone. Unless you have suitable private health insurance, the cost of buying them yourself is prohibitive (around AUD50,000 pa I believe).
            The oft repeated advice is to:
            Stop smoking yourself and others in your house; avoid polluted air (I found central Melbourne and Sydney to be poor, but Canberra, Adelaide and Wellington OK); eat healthily; watch you weight (neither high nor too low); try to get on a Pulmonary Rehabilitation course (depends on where you live); exercise regularly (walking, Tai Chi, Yoga all good); ensure you have up to date ‘flu and pneumonia jabs and practice good breathing techniques. I would add my own advice – first do not hesitate to see your doctor if and when you develop cold, cough or flu symptoms. Second make the most of your life, with friends, relatives and interests.
            Best wishes

• Laurence Griffiths says:

I am 63 years old and was diagnosed with IPF in late September 2017. Last week (early March 2018), the approval came through to provide me with nintedanib under the Australian PBS.

• Laurence Griffiths says:

Forgot to mention that, when I obtained my first month’s prescription, I paid $38.50 (Australian) which is typical under the PBS. However, on the label was “(Full Cost $3387.12)”.

So that equates to $40,645.44 full cost per annum.

3. Islam says:

I have a lung fibrosis ( on lower lobules of the lung). Diagnosed in 2015. Taking mucinac 600 twice daily.
    Plz suggest the life style or any medicine which will improve my condition. I am 36 years old.

4. Gary Ford says:

Warmest regards to all the above and best wishes…I was diagnosed with IPF 30 Jul ’15 with 50% lung capacity…at that the time there were no meds that were accepted in Canada, not until Jan ’14, but due to government bureaucracy it took until Sep ’14 to actually get on Esbriet. Living with IPF is NOT fun as it slowly robs you of your health and you become more dependent on your family to help you do the basic of chores. I retired 2 years ago to spend more time with my family. I was placed on the lung transplant list at Toronto General Hospital Multi Organ Transplant clinic Jan ’17 and received a double lung transplant 14 Apr ’17…praise the Lord. I am almost back to 100% of what I was pre-surgically and each and every day I get a little stronger. There seems to be some major questions and I would be glad to relate to them through my experience as well…I highly recommend joining a blog that discusses PF, such as Canadian Living with Pulmonary Fibrosis has excellent articles and stories from patients..good luck to all and God bless.

5. Jeffrey Carter says:

Sorry, I replied above, I didn’t get to the bottom of this… I was diagnosed with IPF in 2015, …. I recommend the Paleo diet. Carbohydrates, starches, make acid, which may permeate the stomach wall and go directly into the blood stream… the body reacts as if a disease is attacking… Cut out the carbs and the acid reduces to manageable levels, apparently… It’s a bit expensive, but I lost weight and have not taken any medications for the past 3 years… Of course, there are other causes that have nothing to do with leaky gut, but this seems to have been a key problem… Still nervous about it though.

6. Kathryn Seeds says:

How can you help someone who has recently been diagnosed with PF and is 88 years old, besides moral support and prayers? What sort of outside help would make a difference? Obviously, cleaning help. I was surprised that Diet plays a part in treatment. I find that baffling. Any ideas would be helpful. My prayers to all effected by this disease. Thanks for your comments.

7. Denver Fox says:

VERY PERSONAL (and long – you probably want to skip this). Today I reached 78yo – living 18 years longer than my dad, and so far 18 years less than my mom! Snowing and freezing rain today. Highways a mess, multiple accidents and extrications. I will be spending the afternoon at National Jewish Hospital for a 2nd opinion (number one in pulmonary diseases in the US of A) after testing there yesterday and numerous tests the last few months to see if I can get a handle on my “Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis,” “Pulmonary hypertension” and possible “Pulmonary Dendriform Ossification,” and some mild “Sleep Apnea” or so they claim. I have no symptoms of sleep apnea, except the one home sleep study.

None of the above is good to have (well, actually, according to the literature, pretty devastating to have – predicting morbidity and mortality), and was only discovered by a fluke in that cataract surgery required an EKG, which was abnormal, and led to many other tests, leading to the diagnoses just listed. Most of my evaluation has been done at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (tied for number one in pulmonary in the USofA).

I aced my “6 minute walking test” yesterday. I also completed spirometry and other breathing tests for about an hour. I will get those results today, when I meet with the number one specialist in the US of A.

There is little to be done medically for these diagnoses. I am taking a newly developed pill to slow the progression ($8,000 per month, paid for by insurance and a foundation) that causes stomach and system problems, etc., but so far have done OK including a complete metabolic panel yesterday – everything normal. I am on night time oxygen, because a study showed low O2 at night.

Yet, through all of this, I have had no symptoms in any way. I swim, bicycle, walk, do resistance training, stretch, etc., have no shortness of breath and without the EKG for the cataract surgery and subsequent studies, would not be writing this today.

At National Jewish, which evaluates folks from all over the world, most folks were carrying or rolling oxygen tubes with canula attached to their noses. Is this me in a couple of years?

So, my conundrum. How much attention do I pay to these conditions? How much do I let them interfere with my life? A good friend says to ignore everything and get on with living. Besides, there is not much I can do, anyway.

Well, if you have read this far, congratulations. I just needed a time to write all of this out – mainly for myself. Responses not required, but are welcomed

• Elaine Reid says:

I’m exactly where you are. Diagnosed because my sister died with it three yrs ago. I don’t want to take medication because of the side effects. I work out every day, eat well, don’t smoke or do drugs, no weight problem but I do get colds more often. My life has been turned up side down as I’ve been told I’m dying. Aren’t we all.

• Sydney says:

Happy Hanukkah to you ma’am, and I say that you just keep on keeping on! Don’t let a label define you. You went for a cataract, you no longer have it!
      I’d treat it as systems call for treatment. Your attitude is great,
      and I say you take into account what the physicians tell you as far
      as staying strong, but it sounds like
      you’ve got that! God Bless!!
      Sydney

• Deborah Katz says:

Dear Denver Fox,

I loved everything you wrote. It reflected your personality, your warmth, your spirit, resilience, intellect, curiosity, and pragmatic approach to life. I wish you well. Good luck with the best doctors in the U.S. of A.

8. Fedex says:

I´m 42 years old, Islam, have you tried anti-fibrotic meds, you´re so young, you must try. God bless you. I have IPF too since (officially) 2014/5. Sometimes everything going well, but… sometimes… just strange.

9. Claire says:

I know getting a IPF diagnosis is devastating, but I must tell you I was diagnosed six years ago and my tests results are showing slow progression but not life threatening. This of course can change at any time, but we need to remain hopeful and trust that the Lord is with us. If you have great Faith, there is no need to worry!

• Dawn pprter says:

What uip with fibrosis I was diagnosed with it almost a year ago. I am 52 years old and not doing well I have e two sons and separated. They told me I may have two years. I am on a lot of meds they are trying g to hel. I am so worried about my children not so much me

10. Buena josho says:

My husband was just diognosed with IPF. Having read the above comments was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share….prayers for all.

11. Patrick Lucero says:

I was diagnosed with IPF approx 2yrs ago and had been given OFEV to reduce the growth of the dead lung cells. I had extream diarrhea. So, the dosage was reduced to half, Still had diarrhea but not as frequent. No improvement, so discontinued the OFEV. Also, being treated for RA (Rumatoid Arthritis) and Siatic nerve. Don’t know how to cope with it all. It’s been difficult for my wife and family.

12. muhammad suleiman says:

I am suffering from a chronic lung disease I am unable to breath unless with the help of oxygen concentrator pls I want a advice on how to treat this disease and stop using the oxygen concentrator

13. Farooq says:

Hi. I’m in early 40’s and not fit and have v low stamina. I have recently had pulmonary fibrosis due to past radiation treatment. Right lung is 50 % scarred and left lung is fine. I also have a old nasal breathing problem due to deviated septum. But I breath ok having short shallow breaths. I also have hypo thyroidism and take harmone replacement therapy. For few years in past I had a severe mucus problem which had to be extracted manually but thanks to God, it was cured.I have good lifestyle and excellent diet, but want to remove acids and mucus making foods from diet as they R not good for health and longevity and cause other health problems. These chemicals in drugs R rubbish as they have side effects. I recommend herbal or fruit extract treatment. IF u know of any good medication for this lung disease that doesn’t have side effects, pls let me know. Regards

14. Martha says:

Noticed problems in 2011, lived in apt with stairs would get dizzy taking laundry up and down the stairs. Had mri’s and heart doctors, nothing found. Weight was 200 lbs, just figured I was out of shape. 2016 noticed coughing when doing lifting and bending over and when I layed down at night, by end of year it’s was very noticeable. Finally when to watch a parade walked carrying a metal chair and had to stop to rest 5 times every 30 steps which really scared me and when back to doctor. Found out I had diabetes and asthma, nearly passed in doctors office trying to complete a breathing test. Had chest x-rays. Doctor then said I have diabetes andI IPF. Referred to lung center in Dallas where it was determined I has 59% lung function 95%. I have been extremely blessed with help of insurance, drug assistance to be able to take esbriet 2300 mg a day. It’s been a year. A year ago I has 3000 to 4000 steps a day, now it’s a good day if I do 2000. I cough 200-250 times a day. I do quarter of what I was able to last year. With long periods of rest because of the coughing. The coughing goes crazy in the restroom even with my inhaler with I use all day. I start coughing trying to us the restroom, gagging and trying to throw up at the same time. I can’t get excited and talk to much without having to stop. I stay up at night so my husband can sleep without me laying cough. Life is changing I have throw up bags everywhere. I try not to go place that are big like Walmart. I am terrific of stairs and bleachers, can’t do those anymore. But I am still here and fighting every day.

15. Tara says:

I was just diagnosed with lung fibrosis last week. I also have COPD and sarcoidosis with calcification in my lungs. The only way the fibrosis was caught was that I caught the flu (yes, I had my flu shot) and kept going into emergency because I felt like I was breathing through a coffee stir stick and my heart was between 122-200. I was sent to a lung specialist who told me “you’re in trouble”. I also have severe reflux and my acid is going into my lungs when I lie down (now sleeping propped up and increased my medication). He told me I have fibrosis and my lungs are only at a 56% capacity. I am not in the best shape so I’m doing a huge change as both my parents have heart problems but I’m the only one with lung issues. I am 45 with a 16 year old and am not willing to leave her this soon so I’m hoping my lifestyle change will prolong my life and I’m willing to fight it all the way. I wish all of you the very best with your fight.

16. Clara says:

I am 73 years old I was diagnosed but Plumbing pulmonary hypertension 2 years and 3 months ago. I have chronic scoring on my lung severe acid reflux I have had acid reflux for many many years no medication has helped me I call I choked on my food and I throw up sometimes I throw up blood the only thing is that I have for this is oxygen as my lung capacity is 25% I am allergic to all the medications that they could possibly give me to help me and they also told me I had bacteria in my right lung and nodules throughout both my lungs. I’m scheduled for another scan next month I really don’t want to know what is new as I’m already suffering from anxiety depression losing weight not being able to eat and not sleeping very well at all pain all over my body. It looks like when I do something that I get so excited it last 4 days for me to recover and then when I do feel like well I can do something else and then go right back to that same stage I don’t think I will be one to live any longer than 3 years as I was never a healthy person to begin with. I have always kept care of myself never smoked never drank alcohol was on a strict diet because my colon bothered me I had here till bowel so I feel this is so unfair to me. I don’t want to die but I know that I can’t deal with this disease and I have read so much information on other people and how they are going through this and I’m ashamed to say that I guess I’ve been feeling sorry for myself because I can read how strong other people have been through this wanting to fight and here I am wanting to give up. I have had heart problems since I’m in my early thirties and been on medication for my heart all these years I am not healthy at all. I also have nodules in my thyroid gland I had surgery for thyroid problems when I was 27 years old but they only removed the left lobe and now the right one would need to come out and I’m not a surgical candidate at this time or anytime because I cannot be put to sleep. I think I got the bacteria in my right long after having two teeth extracted because they broke from swallowing a lot of the nasty stuff and blood because I didn’t have the bacteria before it did not turn out to be Mac thank God at that time at least I don’t know what I’m facing when I take my next scan. It’s been comforting to read what others have to say about this DF it seems to be a mystery disease to me. I stay at home I don’t want to even try to go out anymore and I would never think I’m going to a restaurant to eat because I’ve seen myself throw up 3 times in my food while trying to eat and I would be very embarrassing if I were to have that kind of attack in a restaurant. my story seems to be never ending I spend so much of my time Googling to find out information about this PF. I know that I have to stop doing this and enjoy what time I have left with my family but it’s hard to get it out of my mind it seems to be there all the time. thank you for taking the time to read my story

17. Clara Gamberella says:

I made many mistakes all this was being typed I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis 2 years and 3 months ago I have chronic scarring and only 30% lung capacity left I apologize for my sloppy message

• Sally plourde says:

I’ve just been diagnosed and I feel very badly for you. Keep on trying and feel what you feel, but keep on trying. Don’t give up!

18. Mary Burgess says:

Hi,I also was diagnosed with PF Jan/2017. I’m currently going through evaluation testing at Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville Tennessee for a right lung transplant. They said my right lung has shrunk down to 50% smaller than my left lung. There is times I feel sorry for myself and don’t want to talk to anyone, but then I remember what the Bible says in Mark 10:27, “With GOD All Things Are Possible”. With this disease I have found out so much through support groups, my prayer is that GOD will give each and everyone on here peace and comfort in their personel struggle with horrible disease. My daily prayer is that I live each and everyday as though it is my last day with my Family and Friends. If I live to go through with my lung transplant or even if I don’t, I’m a WINNER either way.My PFT’s are getting lower and lower, I’m on 02 24/7, my levels are 3-lpm on sitting & resting, but when up to even just go to bathroom i have to be on 5-lpm, stairs and hills are my worst enemy. Does anyone else have problems with your 02 levels changing so suddenly. Your input would be appreciated.

GOD Bless You

Mary B.

19. Stephanie says:

My grandpa was diagnosed with this disease less than a year ago. Relying more and more on oxygen tanks over the months that followed, he ended up passing 3 days ago.

• Greg Burge says:

Esbriet is very costly however there are organizations that assist with donations. Your pulmonary doctor will have the names and contact information. I have found that this drug has lived up to what was told. I have stayed about the same with just a slight increase in oxygen. As I stated before, I will continue to go as fast and as long as possible until I can’t. With God’s help each of can achieve and show others that we are strong and vibrant. Don’t give up, keep pushing and look to God and your family. Blessings, Greg Burge

• Greg Burge says:

Very Sorry for your loss Stephanie. As we age our bodies have less to work with to fight. I know your Grandpa did his very best and now is at rest. We all one day will meet God face to face, with Jesus’ assurance we will all meet again. God Bless you and your Family.

20. Anne Pekoc says:

My very active, otherwise healthy, father was just dx’d with IPF. He has been complaining to his Dr for 7 years of increasing breathing issues. Always being told he’s healthy as a horse and nothing to worry about. After his lung biopsy 2 weeks ago, he got this dx along with the info on the almost $100K drug. He plans to forego the drugs and live life to the fullest while he can. My thought: I think he has probably had IPF for 7 years. From what he has read, the long term life expectancy doesn’t really change with the medication, it just allows for a couple years of better breathing. He said the lung capacity at 72 months is about the same with or without the drug. Is this what you all understand?

21. Gregory Burge says:

I am 67 years old, retired U.S. Navy, retired Wichita Kansas Police Crime Scene Investigator, Contract Armed Security and Hospital Chaplain. Diagnosed December 2013, placed on ESBRIET 3×3 times a day. Progression has been minimal. I have gone from 2 ltrs. Now at 4 ltrs. I remain very active hauling around my bottle. Hunting, fishing, church and Worship Master of Derby Masonic Lodge #365 in Derby Kansas. God Bless

22. Bruce says:

My youngest brother (52) was diagnosed with COPD a couple of years ago… His overall health has declined rapidly in the last 6 months.. Dr’s are now telling him that COPD should not be progressing this rapidly… They are now saying that he may have IPF.. Pulse O2 levels were in the high 60’s on Monday. He was a smoker but quit years ago… there is a family history of GERD. Myself and another brother have had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery… Lastly my brother worked for years in a warehouse freezer for a large distribution company… Could constant exposure to refrigerants be a contributing factor?

23. Wilhelmina G Mercado says:

In Sept 2017 i was having difficulty in breathing and chronic cough.i was a smoker.my xray showed a suspicious nodule so i had a ctscan.impression was apical pleural thickening,pulmobary nodule right middle lobe and pulmonary fibrosis both lung bases.in december 2017 i had a heart attack and diagnosed with heart failure.are these conditions related to each other?

24. Billy says:

I attended my doctor last Tuesday and he phoned me this morning to say I have lung fibrosis. I this the same as pulminary fibrosis.

25. james clark says:

i was diagnosed with copd three years ago 2015 now after numerous scans xrays cuoghing up blood i had a broncosapy and found out i have ipf when you have a lung or breathing problem instead of all the other treatments why not first a broncoscapy

26. Kathy L says:

I’m 60 years old. I was diagnosed with PAH a year ago. The pressures is back normal. But I was still having breathing problems March of this year lung biopsy showed IPF. I’m on o2 247 Ofev cialis tadalfil and opsumit. I’m gaining so much weight and legs/feet stay swollen. A year ago I was at curves and almost collapsed. And I also got married March last year and down hill I went. No coughing no mucus. Thanks for listing Kathy

27. Sonia says:

Hi,
    I would like to know if any of you that have been diagnosed had to have a biopsy first to confirm before receiving medication? If so was the biopsy a relatively easy procedure?

Sonia