An Easier Way to Deliver Oxygen at Home

An Easier Way to Deliver Oxygen at Home

Just breathe, passionate help for the PF journey

There must be a better way!

For those of you using supplemental oxygen, you know it is a blessing and a curse. It’s a blessing because without it we would die, but a curse because it is so difficult to access, use, and live with daily. Check out my previous column about my frustrations using supplemental oxygen.

I’m forever tripping on the cords, trying to unkink them, and urging my husband to stop standing on them. You know what I mean.

A new solution

I recently tried a new way to deliver supplemental oxygen at home and I want to tell you about it. A few months ago, I heard about a system by Captive Technologies called StationMaster. I recently got it for Christmas, and it has made my life easier, so I wanted to tell you about it. Please note, I receive no financial benefit from recommending this system to you.

It consists of a central box where you send your oxygen from a concentrator, or in my case, a tank of liquid oxygen. There are four tubes to send oxygen from the central box out into other rooms. Each room has a smaller box into which you plug your cannula. Check out this quick video I made to show you how it works.

This has eliminated cords throughout the house, reduced tripping, and is less of a hassle for my husband, too. It’s easy to install, but you’ll need someone to help you. The only tool you need is scissors!

Here’s a link to the brochure if you’d like to learn more, as well as a link to the company’s video about this product.

It is a little pricey but has made a quality of life difference, which is very important to me. I can’t control so many things, so I try to make small changes that increase my quality of life whenever possible. I purchased it for $100 less here!

How about you?

What do you think about this new way of delivering oxygen? Do you think it could be a help to you? Have you found other ways that make using oxygen at home a little easier?

I’d love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below, and share with those who could benefit via email or on social media. We’re in this together!

Note: Pulmonary Fibrosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Pulmonary Fibrosis News or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to pulmonary fibrosis.

1. Robin Ives says:

Oh Kim I can’t wait to get home and show this to George!! After 1 month I can see how much better this would be without the tangle on the floor!!

• Hi Robin! I’m so glad…it really has helped! I had to use the other cord yesterday, while my hubby tinkered with it, and it was so much worse. I’m grateful for it! My one bit of advice is to use extra tape to attach the units to the wall. You can also use the screws they provide. Yay!!!

2. Maureen Lake says:

This is a good idea! I presently only use O2 on exertion. When I need it I would consider this.
    Thanks for sharing
    Maureen Lake

3. ash says:

Hi Kim –

Hope you are well. Was curious to know if you are keeping an eye on clinicaltrial.gov?

These things are so hard. Also – how does one private message here?

Thanks.

4. Lisa D Neal says:

What do you do about changing the tubing? It sounds great! I am forever in a tangled mess! My 4 yr old twin granddaughters pull my tubing from underneath my closed door when I lay down in my bedroom if they decide they need me! This would eliminate that!

• Hi Lisa, I’m going to change the 25 ft cord I plug into each room once a month. You never have to change the wide clear tubing between rooms. Yes, this would outsmart your granddaughters! It is really great! My one bit of advice is to use extra tape to attach the units to the wall. You can also use the screws they provide. Great!

5. Russel J Fabre says:

For those who like to tinker. I purchased Colder PLCD22004 and PLCD17004 valved quick disconnect fittings and 100 feet of ATP vinyl flex PVC tubing and routed the hose from my machine in the basement through the false ceiling into my rooms upstairs. Each room has a female quick disconnect installed in the closets through the walls. The hose I move around with has two 7 foot sections with a swivel connection with a male quick disconnect. When I want to move to another room, I just unplug and move to the next room and plug in again. Took me months to accomplish because of my limitations! I have a 75 foot by 100 foot shop that I plumbed the same way. Outside I changed a golf cart to accommodate two E tanks valved together to extend my time outdoors. I was diagnosed with IPF 5 years ago and require supplemental oxygen at 8 lpm 24/7. I have my bad days but will work through them like everyone else on this page does. I value my independence and get frustrated with this body, but thanks to stabilizing help of my wife I manage!

6. Peggy says:

I think I saw 3 Liquid Oxygen containers in your home , I didn’t think they would let you have that much in your home ,because of the fire hazard.This is a great idea ,maybe they will perfect it with a better set up Thanks for sharing

7. David Collard says:

Kim – thanks for your ideas and solutions to moving oxygen around the home. How and why did you select liquid oxygen over oxygen gas? and at what rate are the settings. I am assuming that it is set a constant rate of 2.5 or do you have it at a higher rate.
    A further question relates to filling canisters for use out side the home. My current oxygen system generates oxygen which is directed into a 50 ft tube for through out the house and it also has a device which will fill canisters that I can take with me outside for usage at 2.5 for about 2 hours. Can you do the same with liquid oxygen?

• Hi David! Great questions. I used gas O2 and a POC when out and about for 2 years. As I worsened, and needed more O2 I switched to liquid because it can give much higher levels of O2, especially when leaving home. My old POC (portable oxygen concentrator) only went up to 6 pulse — which is more like 3.5 continual flow. My liquid portable strollers go up to 15 lpm. Currently I use 8 lpm while sitting and 10 lpm while walking. I fill the portable strollers from the big tanks you saw in the video. I have a lot more O2 videos on my website — hope they are a help. http://kimfredrickson.com/videos-pulmonary-fibrosis/