• Esbriet and ulcers

Posted by Pete on March 3, 2021 at 6:02 pm

Does anybody know if taking Esbriet on an empty stomach can cause an ulcer? I usually take my last dose before I go to sleep at night and do not like to eat before going to sleep. The two other doses I take during the day are after meals.

Yolanda Germann replied 3 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Terence Topak

March 4, 2021 at 9:50 am

I don’t know about ulcers, but I do know that even after being on Esbriet for a year, that if I do not take it with food, I get terrible stomach cramps. I would rather miss a dose rather than take it on an empty stomach.

• Karen Martin

March 4, 2021 at 3:43 pm

Pete, if you are taking three doses of Esbriet a day, why not time them to go along with your meals?  That way you don’t need to think about taking them on an empty stomach, which is not recommended, and you don’t need to be eating just before going to bed.  I know I was told very seriously that you need to have food in combination with Esbriet, so this is what I do.  Heaven knows, nobody needs and ulcer!

• Pete

March 4, 2021 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Karen, I hear what you are saying. I thought 3 times a day would mean spreading it out every 8 hours and that’s what I was trying to do (breakfast, dinner, and b4 bed). My 3 meals are not 8 hours apart. My meals are only about 4 hours apart during the day. My meals are from 8 am to 6 pm. Do you think it is ok to squeeze the 3 doses in a 10 hour window rather than a 24 hour window would work as good? I do not want to take them on an empty stomach.

• Karen Martin

March 5, 2021 at 6:25 am

Hey Pete.  My doses are usually between 9:00am and 6:30pm.  I have always done it this way.  Be sure you have protein in your meal, too.  I hope that helps.

• Regina Bolyard

March 5, 2021 at 11:37 am

Hi Pete,

The nurse from Genentech told me that it is unnecessary to spread doses out evenly. She told me that I only need to keep them at least 4 hours apart and take with food.

I hope this helps.

Regina

• Pete

March 5, 2021 at 1:27 pm

Thank you Karen and Regina you both have helped. I will try the 4 hour intervals at meal times even though the Web Doctor in me thinks it should be 8 hours and thinks I am developing an ulcer.

• Terence Topak

March 5, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Do any of you still have appetite issues with Esbriet? I feel I must force myself to eat in order to take Esbriet.

• Pete

March 5, 2021 at 3:38 pm

No appetite issues for me Terence. Always hungry here. Trying to lose a few pounds but its not happening.

• Pete

March 5, 2021 at 5:20 pm

I found this info on Esbriet and am trying to understand it. Is it saying 80% of this expensive drug goes right through you and only 20% is being absorbed?

Elimination
    The mean terminal half-life is approximately 3 hours in healthy subjects. Pirfenidone is excreted predominantly as metabolite 5-carboxy-pirfenidone, mainly in the urine (approximately 80% of the dose). The majority of ESBRIET was excreted as the 5-carboxy metabolite (approximately 99.6% of that recovered).

• Karen Martin

March 6, 2021 at 8:35 am

I had never read anything like this.  Due to the fact that it is supposed to be very quickly absorbed into your system, maybe most of what is excreted is not necessary for it to work?  To be perfectly honest,  I really don’t care how it works, only that it seems to.  Sometimes I revert to that old “ignorance is bliss” state.  🙂

• Yolanda Germann

March 14, 2021 at 11:49 am

Greetings to @all.
    I have been taking Esbriet now since 6 weeks. I do have problems with the stomach and take one tab. of a Proton pump inhibitors like Pantoprazole (here in Switzerland)
    I need to take a few antacids as well.
    Another question I do have. As I react strongly to all medications I have decided to just take 2 tab. Esbriet daily. Do all of you stick to the doses 3
    With this doses my dry cough has stopped and I like to try it this way.
    It is nice to be in this Forum where there other people with the same problem. Thanks for everything!

• Yolanda Germann

March 16, 2021 at 4:08 pm

its me again. I have started to take only 2 Tabl of Esbriet daily as it really gives me a lot of indigestion.
    Does anyone read here ?

• Karen Martin

March 16, 2021 at 4:40 pm

@yoli

Yolanda, I know how the indigestion can be a problem.  I was told to be sure to eat enough protein before taking my Esbriet.  It was suggested that I eat a bit, take one tablet, eat some more, take another and so forth.  I did find that being sure to get protein in my diet helped with the problem.  You can usually call a number for the provider of your Esbriet for suggestions.  I found the people very helpful.  Hope this gives you some help.

• Yolanda Germann

March 18, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Thank you Karen for your supporting words. Since I eat protein when taking the medication I have less stomach problems. I wonder if anyone simply takes doses of 2 tabs instead of three. That is of the 802 mg. I know I react strongly to medication and always need less as the prescribed amount. It is now over a week that I have reduced the amount of the Esbriet of 3 to 2 daily.

• Karen Martin

March 18, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Hey, Yolanda.  Everyone is different in the way they react to meds.  I would talk to the doctor about it.  Mine told me we could be flexible about the dosage, so I suspect that may not be a problem.  I recently read about a study that said redheads usually need more meds, especially when dealing with pain.  Both my late husband and my granddaughter prove that one, so I figure it can just as easily go the other way.  Good luck with figuring it out.

• Malcolm Mann

March 18, 2021 at 7:39 pm

Hi I’ve been on Esbriet for 10 months, no GI issues but I continue to loose weight. My appetite is greatly reduced, and sometimes I’m just not hungry.
    On the positive side my PFT results have remained stable for the last year, and I’m now in the normal cohort for BMI
    Cheers
    Mal

• Yolanda Germann

March 19, 2021 at 4:40 am

Thanks for the answer Karen
      It’s always like that with redheads. Even during the operation, the surgeon said … the red-haired ones always tend to bleed more.
      I am now trying again with two tablets. Let’s see!
      All the best!

• Yolanda Germann

March 19, 2021 at 4:49 am

Hi Mal
    Yes, I know that as well . I had no appetite for 4 weeks. But I forced myself to eat small portions. That is already possible! I have now discovered porridge again! I wish you all the best.
    Greetings Yoli

• Yolanda Germann

March 19, 2021 at 4:52 am

You will need a blood test before you start taking Esbriet and at monthly intervals for the first 6 months and then every 3 months thereafter whilst you are taking this medicine to check whether your liver is working properly. out of www.

I am now in the middle of these tests. All well as far as now.
    How is it with you all?