Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Technology For Assistance and Independence with IPF.

• Using Technology For Assistance and Independence with IPF.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on April 27, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Today’s technology and its capabilities to assist us in our daily lives are pretty remarkable. It feels as though everything has an app associated with it for use with a smart phone, tablet/iPad or computer with the sole purpose of making our lives a little easier. Some of these apps include budgeting tools or mapping the easiest route to a destination that avoids traffic collisions using live stream technology. Others include scheduling our lives through an online calendar equipped with reminders and alerts for upcoming meetings or appointments. This is just to name a few; there are millions of applications out there to help make our lives easier!

Something that is regularly being examined (especially from disability or illness-focused advocates) is how technology might be able to assist those living with a life-threatening disease. I am sure it has been questioned how technology can make the lives of patients with a rare disease, such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) a little easier. Even with this as its purpose, technology has advanced so much in recent years that articles are being written about different types of technological devices that are assisting patients living with an illness or disability.

Recently I was reading an amazing article by TheMighty (which is an excellent digital health community) entitled 19 Tools That Can Help You Live Alone With Illness or Disability and I thought it would be a good resource to share. You can read the full article here: https://themighty.com/2018/04/living-home-alone-disability-sick-tools-accessible/ (full credit goes to the writers of this article and TheMighty).

As I was reading it I was thinking about what tools applied to me that are and/or would be most helpful in assisting me to continue living independently despite the progression of my lung disease. Here are my preferred tools from the list of 19 that I think would make my life a little easier while living with IPF:

• The Extendable Scrubber
    • The WiFi Smart Plug
    • Shower Chair – showering is a tiring task for many of us living with IPF
    • Amazon Echo or Alexa – I’d love to invest in one of these!

Which of these 19 tools would you find most helpful for assisting you with living independently despite your IPF/PF?

Have you found any other tools that help assist you in the home?

I’d love to hear from you!

replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.