Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Staying Hydrated for Patients with Pulmonary Fibrosis

• Staying Hydrated for Patients with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Posted by Mark Koziol on May 26, 2020 at 2:00 pm

As the summer season and warm weather approaches, the need to stay hydrated is vital to keeping our organs running efficiently as possible. Many of us forget to drink enough water while we are involved in outdoor activities. I compare staying hydrated to adding oil into a car; a crucial step to keeping the engine running smoothly. Water is the best way to do this for our bodies. We all know soda, and too much coffee can be harmful even though they are liquids. Soda has too much sugar and of course coffee has caffeine which can be harmful on our kidneys if we drink coffee in excess. While there is always the choice for decaffeinated coffee or tea; ultimately, drinking the recommended eight 8oz glasses of water per day will keep our kidneys running smoothly.

Because I have had a transplant, staying hydrated is an important aspect of my recovery and being as healthy as possible. Did you know that many lung transplant recipients eventually go on dialysis or need a kidney transplant? This is due to some of the medications we take to fight off rejection. I am cognizant of my water intake every day, and I carry a water bottle or two wherever I go. Before transplant I did the same thing because I felt it loosened up mucus in the lungs and would alleviate my dry mouth. Drinking water also helped in my weight loss in preparation for transplant.

As I began to write this topic I found an excellent piece by Charlene Marshall who previously wrote a topic for this forum titled; “Dehydration and Pulmonary Fibrosis (PF)”.  She details methods she uses to stay cool and hydrated in the summer months, and also embedded a study on the effects of dehydration and pulmonary fibrosis.

If you don’t like to drink a lot of water, there are many types of foods containing a high water content. Watermelon, strawberries, and cantaloupe all have 90% water content or higher. For myself in the summer months, I think I can live on watermelon. We always have one cut up and ready to eat in the fridge. There are many websites detailing the water rich content in foods. Most of the foods are fruits and vegetables. Eating healthy in the summer can lead us into a hydrated state of well-being.

When I am dehydrated, I feel fatigued and sluggish. My urine will be an orange colour and sometimes it is even harder to urinate. I take over 25 pills a day, some are supplements to offset my electrolytes, and the other medicines I take are related to my transplant. By staying hydrated I can at least eliminate the toxins in my body and hope for the best when I get my lab tests.

How many of our forum members are vigilant about staying hydrated?

Are you able to recognize when you are dehydrated?

What steps do you take in order to stay hydrated?

Mark Koziol replied 4 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Patricia Williams

October 7, 2019 at 1:57 pm

I just had my PFT and my diffusion went down by 15%. My dr is concerned because it does not go along with what I am able to do on a daily basis. She is going to retest me thinking it might be technical error. I have not been drinking water and wonder if that had anything to do with my low number.

• Mark Koziol

October 7, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Hello Patricia, I searched and read several professional publications and I could not find a relationship between staying hydrated and dlco numbers. Please ask your physician about the relationship as well. Good luck on your next breathing test. Take care, Mark.