Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

Unfortunately, lung transplants have the lowest survival rates among solid organ transplants. A little over half of lung transplant recipients have a life expectancy over 5 years. I am currently approaching my 5th anniversary. The Laboratory of Organ Transplant Genomics in the Cardiovascular Branch of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) has initiated a study to develop a test to detect organ transplant failure. The process of determining failure is conducted by a blood test comparing the donor’s and recipient’s DNA.

Currently, only an invasive bronchoscopy can detect “hidden signs of rejection”. Dr. Hannah Valantine, M.D., is a co-leader of the study. Dr. Valantine states, “We showed for the first time that donor-derived DNA is a predictive marker for chronic lung rejection and death, and could provide critical time-points to intervene, perhaps preventing these outcomes.” As a lung transplant patient who has experienced acute rejection, new findings to facilitate longevity for lung transplant patients are always welcome. My acute rejection was found by a scheduled bronchoscopy after my 3rd month. A prednisone taper was successful. If doctors knew beforehand on what to expect “doctors would then have the option to increase the dosages of anti-rejection drugs, add new agents that reduce tissue inflammation or take other measures to prevent or slow the progression.”

I am curious to know how many of our members have experienced acute rejection or are in chronic rejection?

David Ota
      Participant

Hey Mark

I was diagnosed with Chronic Rejection – BOS at the beginning of this year, about 3 years and 8 months after transplant. PFT were down +/- 10% to 18% depending on how you measure.  My wife and I spoke to the pulmonologist we trust the most and started looking a experimental trials.  We ended up at photopheresis, which is not really experimental, but Medicare (currently being trialed) does not cover it because is did not go through a trial.  Luckily I have private insurance that covers the procedure.  It’s a fairly lengthy procedure at the start, you get a “port” inserted under your skin to pull blood.  The port is about the size of your thumb, and requires day surgery to get it installed.  Then I go to the infusion clinic twice a week every week (4 weeks), twice a week every other week (2 months), then twice a week every month (9 months).  Each visit take 4-5 hrs depending on how thick your blood is that day.  The clinic pulls 1 liter to 1.5 liters of blood, spins it, irradiates some small portion of the blood (white blood cells or T cells, I’m not sure) and pumps it back in.  Great fun.  The procedure seems anecdotally effective.  My PFT FEV1 increased after the 1st bunch of treatments.

Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

Hi David, thank you for commenting. I really appreciate reading your story. It is amazing how every case is different. I am happy to see  the improvement in your pft and hope they keep improving. I wonder if this blood test could have helped doctors foresee the future in your case. On a brighter note I know of a recipient who has been in chronic rejection for over 11 years and is out 19 years. I hope this is just a little bump in the road for you and maybe one day there will be an approved medicine to combat BOS. Please take care, Mark.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account