Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Advice for PF Patients: Be Kind to Yourself Through Hardships

• Advice for PF Patients: Be Kind to Yourself Through Hardships

Posted by Pulmonary Fibrosis News Moderator on April 10, 2018 at 4:10 pm

In today’s column, Pulmonary Fibrosis News‘ writer Kim Fredrickson talks about what it’s like to live with the disease — and why patients need to be a little kinder to themselves:

“All pulmonary fibrosis (PF) patients go through hardships. We watch our lungs and health decline and we suffer emotional pain as we process our foreshortened lives. Grief becomes a companion as we emotionally process all we endure. This disease takes a toll on us.

Talk to yourself with kindness

It is very important to develop a compassionate relationship with yourself as you go through these hardships. You will benefit from talking to yourself kindly about what you are going through. I often talk to myself like this:

‘It is so hard to be diagnosed with PF. My world is so different from what it used to be. I’m glad to have oxygen to keep me as healthy as possible, but it’s so hard to cart around and be aware of at all times. I want to make the most of the time I have left, but sometimes it is hard to have a positive attitude as I struggle physically and grieve. My feelings are normal. I think I’ll be a good friend to myself.'”

You can read Kim’s full column here: “Be Kind to Yourself Through Hardships.”

How has PF taken a toll on you? Are you able to treat yourself with kindness? 

Pulmonary Fibrosis News Moderator replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.