• Buteyko Breathing Technique

Posted by Charlene Marshall on July 13, 2021 at 4:45 pm

One of the questions I get asked about the process of being diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) as a young adult is, “did they think it was Asthma at first”?  My answer to that question is always yes. This is because of the similarities in the symptoms patient’s experience between IPF and Asthma. While there are significant differences in the physiological aspects of these diseases, they often present with similar symptoms: shortness of breath, dry cough, fatigue.

In fall 2019, I wrote a column about managing increased breathlessness. A quick trip to the ER around that time revealed my x-ray is quite “fuzzy”, though the doctor in the emergency department referred to the radiologist to read the results of the x-ray.

I am grateful to all the people who read and leave comments on my column, particularly in relation to unpleasant symptoms we experience and how they can be alleviated. One member recently told me about the Buteyko Breathing Association, which is primarily for Asthma patients. However, he said it has helped him gain better control of his breathlessness on a daily basis with IPF, which is why I wanted to share it here. The breathing technique focuses on having patients breathe through their nose as opposed to their mouth, which many of us do with chronic respiratory conditions. Take a peak at the technique, which can be found HERE if interested, and see if it helps you.

Do you have any other ways to help alleviate breathlessness since your diagnosis of IPF/PF?

Charlene Marshall replied 2 years, 8 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.