• Suzanne R Brennan

February 26, 2019 at 4:46 pm

I have used edibles containing the Indica strain as that is the relaxation and not head high strain. I take about 20 mg in either a sour gummy or chocolate fudge form, about one and a half hours before bed.

Since I take Esbriet for my IPF and I work out with weights twice a week, I need something for pain relief and don’t want to take analgesics as they are too hard on the liver.  Edibles reduce pain and also help me to get a solid nights sleep.

I live in Denver CO and have a medical marijuana card so it’s less expensive. I also buy CBN capsules on occasion to aid in reducing inflammation.

My doctor at National Jewish Health is aware of this and seems ok with it.

• Charlene Marshall

February 26, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on this topic. It is always a popular discussion, and one I know others are eager to learn more about. I know a lot of people who take edibles before bed and find it really helpful with sleep, relaxation and other things too. Does this strain, with the Indica, help with nausea reduction and/or appetite as well? Glad this seems to be working so well for you, and that your doctor is on board with it. That is also important. Do you buy online or from a medical marijuana store?

Sorry for all the questions!
      Charlene.

• Suzanne R Brennan

February 27, 2019 at 11:45 am

Hi, Charlene. Thanks for your reply. Before I answer your questions, let me say I really enjoy your columns! They are often the exact same as what’s happened to me or they answer questions I have had.

I have only purchased from a physical store – not online. I have not had much nausea since switching to Esbriet from OFEV about seven months ago. I have taken them primarily for pain relief and more restful sleep. They have helped greatly with both of these issues.

just a little education on marijuana: Indica is the strain that produces pain relief and relaxation where Sativa, the other strain, is intended mostly for a high. I’m not interested in getting high and therefore would not buy Sativa products.

Because I have a medical marijuana card, I can get larger quantities at lower prices. While IPF is not one of the diseases for which marijuana is said to be legally beneficial for, like epilepsy or PTSD, it nevertheless can be prescribed for pain relief.

While I am regularly seeing the transplant team at the University of Colorado Hospital, they have not said anything negative about marijuana use yet. Perhaps if/when I am closer to testing for and being listed for transplant, it will come up. But it’s also possible that by that time, marijuana will be a more recognized and accepted adjunct to our treatment.

• Charlene Marshall

February 28, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you so much for your reply and your kind words regarding my columns. It truly is a privilege to write about my experiences and share them with others. I am so comforted to know that there are others out there going through the same experience and who truly “get it”. Although I wish it wasn’t this cruel disease that brings us all together, I am so thankful for everyone on this site…

I appreciate you providing that clarification re: the Indica vs. Sativa, as I’d not heard of this before. Would it be like the CBD vs. THC respectively, versions of marijuana then? I’d heard of that and would also only be interested in the CBD version to help with pain relief and better sleep. It is now legal here in Canada (as of October 2018) so I am sure I could figure out a way to obtain it, as I do not have a medical marijuana card. I also could likely get one if I spoke with my doctor, especially for helping me sleep as that isn’t going very well for me at the moment.

Glad it continues to be beneficial for you and I really appreciate your sharing this information with all of us.
        Charlene.

• Suzanne R Brennan

February 28, 2019 at 2:01 pm

With respect to the marijuana designations. There are two strains: Indica and Sativa. There is CBD and THC in each but very little THC in the Indica strain and more CBD and I believe the opposite is true for the Sativa, hence the head high with Sativa. Many years ago, I don’t think there was general knowledge of the distinction but as it became legal, there was more experimentation and people’s preferences evolved and that’s why I think the strains diverged.

Of course others with more knowledge can post and correct anything that I have misstated but this is what I was told by people in the shop I go to, all of whom seem to have received good training on their product.

It continues to be a huge help for me as I also had very poor sleep – the hamster on the wheel thing, going over and over everything troubling me in life and once diagnosed with IPF, this became more common. This has not only stopped that but I also hardly wake up in the night anymore and if I do, I am generally able to get right back to sleep. It’s definitely been a lifesaver for me. Hope you get a chance to try it and have similar good results!

• Charlene Marshall

March 2, 2019 at 8:32 am

Thank you for the clarification Suzanne, that is indeed really helpful. This topic can overwhelm me quickly, simply because I’ve never experimented with marijuana or considered it, other than after my IPF diagnosis. The CBD vs. THC in each strain you explained makes sense, especially after hearing the purpose of each. I am really glad it continues to help you! I am going to look into this I think, and see if I can order it without a prescription. If I need one to get a credible product (which is important to me) I’ll talk to my doctor about it when I go on 11/03. Thanks again for sharing and I’m so glad it is helping you with sleep – this makes me hopeful 🙂

Cheers,
        Charlene.

• Clint Schacht

February 26, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Hi Kenneth,
    I’m glad you found something that is helping! You have to be really careful what you buy from Amazon especially CBD oil. I’d really be curious to see what you did find. I’ve found once you go over 750mg they start to put additives and fillers of all kinds in the bottle. Doesn’t necessarily mean it will be more effective than a quality pure oil that’s 500mg. At any rate if you are getting results that is great!

• Laura Bush

February 28, 2019 at 10:09 am

Hi, I started using hemp CBD oil this week. I have started with a few drops under my tongue in the morning and at night. It definitely seems to be helping me sleep. I haven’t seen any improvement yet in my joint inflammation and pain,  but from what I’ve read it can take a couple weeks before there is any noticeable difference. Being able to sleep better is huge for me. I haven’t enjoyed living feeling exhausted all the time. It made me depressed, anxious and less able to handle all the pain I deal with. So, I’m happy with the results so far and am praying that it will also help reduce my RA pain and inflammation. I also haven’t had the debilitating headaches this week that I was previously experiencing on a daily basis. I still have a headache, but took Tylenol and it’s almost gone completely.  I enjoyed reading all the previous posts about this. Thanks for everyone’s input!

Laura

• Charlene Marshall

February 28, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Hi Laura,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and sharing your experience about this very popular topic! Better sleep would be a huge improvement for me as well, so I am glad you’re finding that beneficial and really hope it also helps with your joint pain and inflammation. Really glad it is also helping with your headaches Laura! It can be amazing stuff… how did you know the dosage that would work for you? Was it just trial and error that you figured out? Always curious about this too as I know getting the dosage right has been tricky for some people who have tried CBD oil.

Thanks for sharing!
      Charlene.

• Laura Bush

February 28, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Hi Charlene and others! With regards to the CBD oil that I started using,  it is called Wild Rogue CBD Tincture, 1000 mg CBD hemp oil. It is a small 30ml bottle. On the bottle it says a “serving” is 0.5ml., so I decided to take half of that amount in the morning and half before I go to bed. I am trying to get more information about it,  as it didn’t come with any instructions or recommendations. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is basically tasteless.  As I previously said, it seems to be helping me sleep during the night. I was able to do lots of errands today, and didn’t even need a nap this afternoon! Hopefully I didn’t overdo it today, guess I’ll just have to wait and see. Good night!?
    Laura

• Charlene Marshall

March 2, 2019 at 8:35 am

Hi Laura,

Thanks so much for your reply and I hope this note finds you doing well! I appreciate learning about the product you’re using, did you purchase it online? Forgive me if you’ve already explained this and I’ve forgotten…. I wish CBD oil helped with our memory retention too 😉 Really glad it is helping you sleep, that is my main hope for trying this product, as I find I am good to stay asleep once I get there but rarely fall asleep easily at night. Glad the product is tasteless and the dosage you tried is helpful for you. I appreciate your sharing 🙂

Charlene.

Page 2 of 2