Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Healthcare Questions Cider Vinegar inhalation Therapy

Tagged: 

• Cider Vinegar inhalation Therapy

Posted by don-moffett on January 13, 2024 at 9:33 am

I was in an emergency clinic yesterday for chest congestion and chest discomfort. The PA prescribed me a zpack and suggested that I boil equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and inhale it through my nose for 10 minutes. He claims it cleans the respiratory system to includes any congestion in the lungs. I reminded him I had IPF, he said it was ok. My Pulmanary dr is out of the office for a few days, so I am trying it until he gets back and I can talk to him.. Has any tried it? Any Pulmonologist said it was ok?

Larry70 replied 3 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Alex Marion

January 13, 2024 at 11:55 am

As per I found so far with A I.

There is currently no scientific evidence supporting the use of inhaled apple cider vinegar as a nebulizer treatment for IPF or any other lung condition. In fact, inhaling apple cider vinegar is potentially dangerous and can have serious health consequences:

<ul data-sourcepos=”3:1-3:22″>

• Lung irritation: The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar can irritate and damage the delicate lining of the lungs, causing coughing, wheezing, and inflammation.
  • Chemical pneumonitis: Inhaling any liquid besides sterile saline solution in a nebulizer can lead to chemical pneumonitis, a serious inflammation of the lung tissue caused by a foreign substance.
  • Bacterial infection: Homemade nebulizer solutions are not sterile and can harbor bacteria, potentially leading to lung infections.
  • Therefore, I strongly advise against using inhaled apple cider vinegar as a nebulizer treatment for IPF or any other lung condition. This practice is unsupported by science and poses significant health risks.

• Larry70

January 16, 2024 at 2:37 pm

I agree, the acidic nature of the vinegar seems very risky.