Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Dennis H
      Participant

I was recently declined acceptance for lung transplant at Vanderbilt University due to artery blockages. I was told CC does more high risk transplants so I asked Vanderbilt to refer me to them and they said they would. Does anyone have experience with Cleveland that could share their experience. Also, I have concern that I live over 600 miles from Cleveland and wonder how they deal with that.

Sarah Mccoy-Husler
        Participant

I have been to Northwestern University Hospital in Chicago and I’ve been advised the Cleveland Clinic is highly rated. Both are are wonderful places to be seen.

Sarah Mccoy-Husler
          Participant

I’ve have heard wonderful things about Cleveland Clinic. I have been to Northwestern University Hospital in Chicago and I’ve been advised the Cleveland Clinic is highly rated.

Alan
            Participant

I don’t know anything about the Cleveland Clinic but I have recently been accepted for a lung transplant evaluation at UPMC and on their website they say they take higher risk patients than most. Maybe if Cleveland Clinic doesn’t work out for you  you could check out them out.

Annette
              Participant

They won’t deal with the distance, you will. They will require you to live within a certain mile radius, so be prepared to move.

Paul D Boccocelli
                Participant

I live in Phoenix, AZ., I am 75 years old, St Joseph’s Medical Center does transplants here, so does Mayo Clinic.  As someone who was accepted into the lung transplant pool, although my scores were  too high to be considered for placement on the list, I get re-evaluated every 90 days. My last evaluation was yesterday, and as expected my scores were lower. Since December I had Covid, followed by pneumonia, and two bouts of chronic bronchitis. So anyway I’m currently being retested to make sure I’m still a viable candidate.  At St. Joseph’s once you are accepted into the active transplant list you must reside within one hour of the hospital, so when an organ becomes available you are nearby. I’m assuming this is standard for most transplant hospitals. They don’t want you being in Europe or on a cruise when an organ becomes available. Fortunately, I live within a 30 minute drive of the hospital. Those who don’t are expected to make living arrangements in the Phoenix metro area while awaiting transplant, and I believe, for six months post op. So for those don’t live nearby it can be an expensive proposition.  St.Joseph’s also does not have a mandatory upper age limit, I believe, but don’t know for sure, some hospitals have an upper age limit of 65. St Joseph’s has performed more than 1,000 lung transplants.  If you have relatives in the Phoenix metro area, or just would like to live here, you might consider asking your physician to refer you to St. Joe’s for an evaluation.  Sorry to ramble on for so long.

John
                  Participant

Have you looked into Duke? They do more transplants than any center in the country and our  pulmonologist mentioned that they take a lot of cases that other centers reject.

Dennis H
                    Participant

Thanks everyone for all the information. Since I originally posted Cleveland Clinic notified me that the risk for my transplant at my age was too high for them to take. I was referred to Duke but haven’t heard from them yet.

John
                        Participant

My wife has IPF and is a patient at Duke as we live close by.  If you need any information about the area , I’d be more than happy to help.  My wife’s sister is needing a lung transplant and is at Vandy bc she lives in that area. She too may end up here at Duke. I’d be happy to be of any assistance if you come to  Duke.  I’m very impressed with the pulmonary department at Duke and in particular with the pulmonologist she sees. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need anything as I regularly read this forum.

Dennis H
                        Participant

Alan, good luck on your evaluation at UPMC. I think I’ll try and get referred there as well.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©[current-year] KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen