Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Healthcare Questions Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Pulmonary Fibrosis COVID Lockdown Helpful for Patients with Lung Disorders

• COVID Lockdown Helpful for Patients with Lung Disorders

Posted by Charlene Marshall on July 1, 2020 at 10:06 pm

To my fellow Canadians on this site: I hope you had a wonderful Canada Day! 

I recently recorded this news article as a PF flash briefing, and I found it really interesting: 16% of People in the UK with Lung Disorders Think COVID-19 Lockdown Helpful.

Since March, stay-at-home orders have been issued all around the world amid the COVID-19 pandemic while hoping to slow the spread of the virus. A study conducted in the UK found that 16% of the study sample (n = 14,000) noticed an improvement in their respiratory symptoms, while over half noted a reduction in air pollution during the pandemic lockdown. Applied in the context of those living with lung diseases in the UK, the COVID-19 restrictions eased respiratory symptoms in 1 out of every 6 people.

We’ve talked about the good that might emerge from this pandemic, including a surge in research for those of us with pulmonary fibrosis. While it so unfortunate this pandemic occurred at all, there are things we have learnt and good things to focus on during the pandemic.

This same UK study includes a recommendation by the British Lung Foundation (BLF) and the Task Force for Lung Health to take a closer look at air quality as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown, and improve it for not only those with lung diseases but also for future generations. This is just one example of a good change that could occur, benefitting everyone in the UK, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Have you noticed a reduction/difference in your respiratory symptoms due to the pandemic lockdown or improved air quality?

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 10 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.