Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Do you wear a mask with holiday gatherings and less ideal ventilation?

• Do you wear a mask with holiday gatherings and less ideal ventilation?

Posted by Larry70 on December 18, 2023 at 5:59 pm

I’m curious to hear about what other people with IPF and PF do about potentially risky gatherings of people in close quarters or where the ventilation isn’t great, do you wear a mask? I haven’t been wearing one lately as I’m fully vaccinated and boosted (with RSV, Flu, COVID, etc), but I did get COVID back in early October, and that was pretty brutal. I should have greater immunity since then but now that I have some kind of PF/ILD I imagine I need to be a lot more careful. Thoughts?

Paul Caden replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Patricia Meadows

December 19, 2023 at 10:49 am

I definitely wear a mask when I’m in close quarters with others in grocery stores, the weight room at the gym, etc. I don’t wear a mask when I’m walking on the track at the gym because there aren’t many people using it when I’m there. When out for a meal at friends’ homes or a restaurant, or entertaining at home (always groups of no more than 8) I take a leap of faith and go without a mask. I have auto-immune PF and my boyfriend had a lung transplant four years ago, and everyone in our circle knows and respects that they can’t be around us if they have “just a cold” or any other contagious illness.

• RIk

December 19, 2023 at 2:27 pm

No mask… doesn’t help with viruses

• David Ota

December 19, 2023 at 2:40 pm

Hi Larry

I’m post IPF, 7 years into a double lung transplant. I just saw my pulmonologist this morning. He said, ‘No airports, or indoor restaurants’. Granted a lung transplant is not IPF, but he also mentioned his hospital beds were full of colds, covid and rsv. I can easily miss holiday gathering and restaurants. That answers the old mask or no mask question for me. Happy Holidays.

• Paul Caden

December 19, 2023 at 7:21 pm

Firstly, I disagree with rik who says that mass are no good against viruses which is completely wrong. We always were at least NK94 and preferably N95 masks whenever in crowded areas, stores airports, especially airplanes. No colds whatsoever in 4 years almost and we avoid big parties. Our entourage all know that I have IPF and we trust them to not come if they have colds