Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Exercise Modifications to Stay Active with PF

• Exercise Modifications to Stay Active with PF

Posted by christie on May 10, 2021 at 7:33 pm

Over the last year, the pandemic has reshaped everything, including our fitness routines. With gyms closed and fitness classes moving online, it was hard for many of us to prioritize regular exercise. The guidance provided by instructors, the camaraderie of the gym, or rehab environment, and the accountability fostered by a routine once kept us on track. We have all had to find new ways of prioritizing fitness in the absence of our “normal” routines.

I got totally out of shape when my fitness routine was stripped away. It didn’t help that I coped with unpleasant pandemic feelings by perfecting my scone recipe. I know I’m not the only one who has put on pandemic pounds… My parents also gained weight and struggled to get moving in the cold, snowy winter. Now that spring has sprung, my family is getting back on track with our exercise. We have a group chat where we share our goals, our meals, and our exercise routines. And now that I am vaccinated, I feel safe returning to the gym.

Given the preliminary research on the limited efficacy of vaccines in transplant patients, my folks are still being extra cautious. While they are both vaccinated, my mom is unsure if her compromised immune system has built up a typical immune response to the vaccine. To play it safe, they have been exercising outside away from others–walking and riding bikes.

To make it easier to get around in the mountainous terrain of their hometown, my parents recently invested in electric-assisted bicycles (e-bikes). Their new bikes can be ridden without any assistance from the battery-operated motor, or they can turn up the power to help them get up hills.

E-bikes are a great option for those who have exercise limitations, like PF. Getting out and exercising nature is great for the body and the soul, but sometimes a little boost is necessary! I can think of a few other modifications that might make exercising easier for folks with reduced lung function, but I’d like to hear from you. How have you changed your routine so that you stay active? Have you made any modifications to your exercises so that you can keep in shape with PF?

christie replied 2 years, 10 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.