Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Healthcare Questions Diagnosis​ ​Information​ ​and​ ​General​ ​Questions Food Cravings/Aversions Since Being Diagnosed With Pulmonary Fibrosis

• Food Cravings/Aversions Since Being Diagnosed With Pulmonary Fibrosis

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 13, 2018 at 4:41 am

In a previous topic thread, many of you identified a change in your appetite since being diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis (PF). I would have to agree that my appetite has changed as well since my diagnosis, however, it has changed in a different way than most of you shared.

I find that I do still have an appetite (whereas many of you shared that you do not) but I cannot eat as much as before, due to the onset of shortness of breath. I know many members on this forums could relate to the latter, and feeling an increase in shortness of breath when they’re really full after a meal. I also find my food preferences have changed since my diagnosis, or perhaps this is a result of my medications. I have certain cravings vs. certain aversions to different types of food now.

I used to enjoy carbs, although not carb-heavy food just a regular intake of carbs through food likes pastas or breads. This is now one food that I prefer to stay away from because it causes me to feel full so fast, and my lungs don’t like the feeling of being full as I mentioned above. I also never really craved anything salty, as my “treat” preferences were sweet things like icecream or chocolate. Now I find my cravings are opposite, and I’d not prefer to have sweets but salty things instead such as chips or popcorn. I don’t have these on a regular basis, but these are my “treat” foods now. Also, I can no longer tolerate spicy foods at all, and find I get a stomach ache with dairy-rich foods which I never experienced before as well.

Perhaps my palate is just changing as I get older, but it is interesting to reflect back on my food cravings vs. aversions since my diagnosis of IPF, and beginning on so many different medications. I can’t help but wonder if some of these changes are as a result of my lung disease.

Have you experienced a change in the type(s) of food you prefer since your diagnosis of IPF/PF?

What types of food cravings do you now have? What foods cannot you no longer tolerate, or once enjoyed and now no longer do?

replied 5 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.