Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: Young Adults Ideas for Finding Happiness & Gratitude Despite IPF.

• Ideas for Finding Happiness & Gratitude Despite IPF.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on July 23, 2018 at 9:10 am

On the surface no one would know it, but lately I’ve been stuck in a bit of a “funk” and no matter how hard I try to understand what’s causing it, I remain unsure. Some days I think I am just angry that I am living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) as a young adult, and unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that. Other days, I fear my frustration comes from others who I perceive are not doing enough to help me navigate my illness. I think both of these factors are contributing to how I am feeling.

As I’ve mentioned in previous forum posts, I was attending a personal and professional development conference last week which did help lift my spirits. Now that I am home however, I am struggling again. I decided to compile a list of things / ways / ideas that I could try to help me find happiness and gratitude in my day. I need to focus on doing these things independent of anyone else, as I am learning that my happiness cannot depend on others. I’ve been let down one too many times. Here are some ideas to bring you happiness, joy and gratitude despite living with IPF/PF:

• Take time for yourself & “unplug”: I recently had my first experience with mindfulness practices, and part of that was a discussion about the importance of unplugging ourselves from the constant connection to electronics. I admit that I am part of a generation that is always attached to a device, whether it is a cellphone, laptop or some other form of technology that connects and makes me constantly available to others. Since this discussion, I have been more intentional about putting my phone down and not always checking it. This has helped me focus on more tasks for me, while giving me time to do things that bring me joy that I have been neglecting. Taking time for you and enjoying self-care isn’t always easy, but it is important in order to indulge in the things that bring you happiness.

• #100daysofhappy: this hashtag is being used all over social media to join people together in documenting 100 days of happiness in their lives. It is not a new phenomenon, and is likely being used in different ways or with different hashtags but the premise is the same: documenting something that makes you happy for 100 days in a row. They don’t have to be grandeur things; it can be as small as being thankful for the shine shining, or for eating a good meal. Documenting this also gives people a way to reflect back on all the reasons in their lives to be happy. I am going to try this in a few weeks!

Do you have additional ideas to find happiness and gratitude in your life, despite living with IPF/PF?

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.