• Posted by blucoyo on December 9, 2023 at 4:06 pm

I’ve developed a number of symptoms that are consistant with a hiatal hernia.One of which is a feeling of tension and pressure in my chest.😁
    A cough with deep inhalation,stomach/diaphram spasms which leave me unable to speak. Loss of appetite,and when I do eat I feel full with little eaten. My 02 is between 96-98,but does drop when excercising.Prior to these symptoms I was doing well. From what I’ve read about the IPF cough,this one i have is short lived.

My question is,has anyone ever had like symptoms with IPF? Or had a H.H.

Thank you !!

José replied 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Judith Stryker-McGill

December 12, 2023 at 3:42 pm

I have a hiatal hernia diagnosed from a CT scan. My symptoms are a sensitive gag reflex with frequent vomiting especially after drinking a large amount of liquid or taking multiple pills at once. I fill full after eating a small amount. I have nausea and lack of appetite but that may be due to OFEV. I do not have chest tightness or pain that you described. It seems reasonable that some of your symptoms are related to hiatal hernia and PF. A hiatal hernia can cause regurgitation which they believe is one cause of pulmonary fibrosis. I had a surgical consult for a HH repair but the surgeon said that I am too high risk due to PF. I am going to get a second opinion. My personal opinion is that you should find out what type of HH you have and its size. Then you doctor can determine if either meds or surgery is the best option – or hopefully will tell you that you need neither!! Good luck – it is a complicated situation.

• José

December 31, 2023 at 2:11 pm

I am a IPF at end state. My HH is a horrible thing to have. I can’t even bend over to pick something up or I will pass out. I ask about the surgery to repair HH, but due to my lungs condition they would not even think about it. Also I was told that they may repair your HH (which you can see a video of the procedure I think is on Youtube), but not many make the surgery.