• Love Letters

Posted by Christie Patient on January 23, 2023 at 3:08 am

January is always a really hard month for me, with anniversaries and milestones that weigh heavy on my heart. But one of the things that always helps me keep things in perspective is the practice of gratitude. I’ve written about gratitude journaling in the past, and how profoundly it changed my mindset, but gratitude practice doesn’t have to be so regimented. 

One way that I regularly practice gratitude is by writing love letters to people in my life. I like to sit down and reflect on what makes someone so special to me. The many ways they greet me with tenderness, humor, or support when I need it. I like to hone in on their charming idiosyncrasies, and their unique perspectives on life. And then I spill it all out in a love letter. It brings me joy to sit with them in my imagination for a while (since many of my friendships are long-distance thanks to the military), and I know that it will bring them joy to read. 

Do you practice gratitude regularly? Do you write snail mail to your loved ones? If you’re feeling blue this January, I’d recommend giving it a try. It might just brighten your day and that of someone you love. 

There are a bunch of columns on our website on the subject of gratitude if you want to do some reading!

Christie Patient replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Samuel Kirton

February 2, 2023 at 2:25 pm

Christie,

Every letter I have written to my donor family has been a love letter (and it does go by snail mail).

Sam …

• Christie Patient

February 7, 2023 at 7:32 pm

Love this Sam. Us too. <3 We've never heard back, but keep on writing our love.