Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Lung Transplantation Manufacturing Complex Organs Using a 3-D Printer

• Manufacturing Complex Organs Using a 3-D Printer

Posted by mark-koziol on June 5, 2019 at 6:06 pm

I recently came across an article posted by the Lung Transplant Foundation. I am currently a mentor to two individuals who are being evaluated for lung transplant. The article is in the journal Scientific American. The article is titled, “Can 3-D Printing Produce Lung and Liver Tissue for Transplants?” The article details new research on the ability to create lungs and livers by using a 3-D printer. What is amazing about this research is the ability to recreate the complex organs using food dye. The lung and liver are the most complex organs in your body.

I am a bit skeptical on this research but if one day the research comes to fruition and the re-created organs are viable; I think it would be the biggest innovation in the world of organ transplantation. Currently only 20% of procured lungs are considered viable for transplant.

Forum members: Please read the article and respond to the following questions.

Would you allow yourself to be a candidate to receive a 3-D organ if this process was FDA approved?

How would you feel about having an organ in your body made of bio-degradable materials?

Please provide your thoughts on the article.

mark-koziol replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • timothy-middleton

June 6, 2019 at 8:24 am

I have no problem with it.

• mark-koziol

June 7, 2019 at 10:28 am

Hello Timothy, I would have to agree with you. There are some who pass while waiting for an organ and it seems a mechanical that could do the job would be an excellent alternative. I think it will be a few years before we see this happen. Thank you for reading and commenting. Mark

• michael-lamkin

June 7, 2019 at 10:04 am

Too bad it’s not yet a reality yet. I’d use it in a nanosecond.

• mark-koziol

June 7, 2019 at 10:34 am

Hello Michael, thank you for reading and commenting. Like I stated to Timothy, I would be interested if I ever needed another transplant. mark

• jan-riche

June 7, 2019 at 12:44 pm

I would definitely take one, my Mom had a foreign object in her body for years, a pacemaker, not quite the same but close. As for biodegradable, my whole body is biodegrade. If they could manufacture them maybe they wouldn’t have more likely to have said yes to my application. Besides, I am an unbearable optimist.
    Jan

• mark-koziol

June 7, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Hello Jan, thank you for reading and commenting. I love your point of view. I consider myself an optimist as well. Take care. Mark