• Merits for Singing

Posted by Bill Hunt on July 26, 2018 at 10:14 am

Just finished reading an article in the forum by Bev Kunkel from a May 5 post about singing. I am so glad to hear that someone else feels the same way I do. My O2 level can drop as low as 84 when exercising or puttering but I am a singer and I sing out in church vigorously and I maintain a 98 O2 without oxygen. I would like to know if others have this same experience. I also liked your response to it Charlene.

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Charlene Marshall

July 28, 2018 at 8:53 am

Hi Bill,

Yes, there have been lots of people who actually wrote in / contributed to the topic thread about how singing is helpful for them. You can read their responses here if you’d like:  https://pulmonaryfibrosisnews.com/forums/forums/topic/12010/  … it certainly sounds like it is beneficial for most 🙂

So glad to hear it helps you, how cool is that, especially since it is something that you enjoy!! Let me know if the link works, as others have definitely written in about their experience with this. Hope it helps!

Cheers,
    Charlene.

• Bill Hunt

August 1, 2018 at 12:15 pm

The links do work in Charlene’s note but I couldn’t find a way to reply to David any where.  I wanted to let him know that I intend to keep singing as long as I am able. I do not use oxygen in church. Today I wore it to the gym and it allowed me to use a bike for 30 minutes and it worked great, all levels were normal. Up to now I have avoided using O2 as much as possible but that may change..

• Charlene Marshall

August 2, 2018 at 11:03 am

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for your reply, and I am sure David will be happy to hear from you. I’ll send him a link to your reply in his update. It is likely you can’t reply to him directly as he didn’t put his post in a forum topic, but instead an update on the activity page 🙂 No problem, I’ll make sure he sees it.

So glad you’re finding a way to use your oxygen that enables you to do still do the things you want to. That is good news, and I hope you can continue to sing as long as possible.

Regards,
      Charlene.

• Michael Morale

August 2, 2018 at 2:44 pm

This is a great discussion everyone. While I personally do not suffer from Pulmonary Fibrosis, I suffer from spinal muscular atrophy, which can also affect the pulmonary system. I would like to say that I am a singer, but my close friends tell me that if I was sitting for candy, I wouldn’t get a lick lick. Without being said, I noticed that when I do sing, it makes it easier for me to breathe. For me, I believe it’s because I’m expanding my lungs more than I would normally do by just talking. Please give me your thoughts.

• Charlene Marshall

August 3, 2018 at 8:16 am

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for contributing to this thread, and welcome again to our special forums community. The people on this site are so great, and really helpful and supportive! I’m so glad to hear that when you sing it makes it easier to breathe for you, there definitely is something to be said about singing and expanding the lungs more thoroughly!! I typically reserve my singing voice only to the car and shower, but maybe will try other avenues too – although my singing voice is definitely not a pretty sound! I think I’ll make note of how my breathing is while singing in the car in future (that is where I really bellow it out) and see if I notice a difference… thanks to this topic for bringing that to my attention!

Enjoy your day!
      Charlene.

• David Maddox

August 3, 2018 at 8:17 am

I’m glad to see that others have positive benefits of singing. As a singer I routinely experience good feelings as we produce fun and often inspiring music and we are taught breathing techniques that allow us to make better use of our lungs. Looks like that carries over even after we develop Pulmonary Fibrosis. On August 21st I will repeat a pulmonary function test and I am hoping/praying  it will show continued stabilization of my iPF. That will mark 2 years of stable function and exactly 4 years from the date I retired (just realized that–it wasn’t a deliberate decision). Two  things to celebrate I hope.

• Charlene Marshall

August 3, 2018 at 8:29 am

Hi David,

Thanks again for getting in touch with us! When you say you are taught better breathing techniques that allow you to make better use of your lungs, especially while singing, who teaches you these techniques? Just curious, is it something you obtain from your pulmonary rehab program?

I will be thinking of you at your appointment in August and hope that everything remains stable for you. Definitely two celebratory events  if that is the case. Do let us know how you make out and in the mean time, happy singing!

Charlene.

• Michael Morale

August 3, 2018 at 8:25 am

I tell myself all the time, then when I sing in the shower, I think I can put Luciana Pavarotti to shame. If they would allow me to go on American Idol, and take my shower with me, I would not only win the competition, I would be rich. Lucky for me, I have so many good friends who keep reminding me that only dogs and certain farm animals are able to hear me sing. I guess I’m lucky to have good friends. (100% SARCASM)….

• Charlene Marshall

August 3, 2018 at 8:26 am

LOL Michael, thanks so much for this laugh … it was a good start to my day! 🙂
      I wonder if my dog tries to cover her ears when I also sing in the shower…. something to also consider. Enjoy your day!

Charlene.