Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ My Unexpected Sleep Aid: A Weighted Blanket

• My Unexpected Sleep Aid: A Weighted Blanket

Posted by Charlene Marshall on August 21, 2019 at 7:43 pm

A popular topic among many of our forum discussions is about how idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) reduces our ability to get a good night’s sleep, which doesn’t allow us to wake up and feel rested for the day. Unfortunately, I can relate to this and find that my sleep is often compromised since being diagnosed and learning to live with this cruel lung disease. Poor sleep just makes everything feel worse, escalating my struggles throughout the day including physical and mental fatigue, along with emotions that run high when I am tired.

I recently discovered a non-medical, non-drug related comfort item that has really improved my ability both to fall asleep and stay asleep. Have any of you tried sleeping with a weighted blanket? I recognize this may not be for everyone, as I know lots of people who wouldn’t be able to tolerate weight on top of them while they are sleeping. However, for those unsure, this may be worth a try to help improve your ability to sleep well at night. Click HERE to read some of the benefits of a weighted blanket.

I learnt about the benefits of a weighted blanket through a friend at our cottage who has struggled with sleep for years. She offered to pick one up for me at Costco (US and Canada) as it was the cheapest option – the only downfall is that they can be expensive -mine was $69.99 and is 15lbs. It has been a game-changer for me, and helps me fall asleep almost immediately and I feel better rested in the morning as well. Again, this may not be good for everyone, but something possibly worth trying if you struggle with sleep.

Have any other non-medical sleep aids/interventions worked to improve your sleep since your diagnosis?

If so, please share them with us!

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • karen-boettin

August 22, 2019 at 4:48 pm

I bought a weighted blanket and I love it but unfortunately it hasn’t helped my sleep.

• Charlene Marshall

August 23, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Sorry to hear the weighted blanket wasn’t helpful in improving your sleep Karen! Hopefully it brings you comfort in other ways, as I also love mine. Thanks for writing.

Charlene.