• Pain/Swelling from Immobility: Do You Experience This?

Posted by Charlene Marshall on October 6, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Since my diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in early 2016, I’ve been more attuned to my body and what it is experiencing. In general, I notice more unexplained aches and pains and of course, the soreness in my chest from the persistent IPF dry cough. However, as of late I’ve been noticing an unusual side effect and I’m not sure what the cause is. It happens most often when I am standing still, not while enduring any type of physical exertion.

Lately, my legs and feet swell and become very sore if I stand in one spot for any length of time. I first noticed this while I was travelling out east last month, but I attributed the swelling to the flight. However, the swelling never seemed to subside fully. It has now thankfully, but it does re-occur if I stand in one spot for any period of time without moving around. In addition to the swelling, my feet and legs also become incredibly sore.

Yesterday I was waiting at a store for a Manager to enter a refund into the computer and my legs suddenly became so sore, as did my feet and I ended up crying out of frustration because I am 30 years old and should be able to endure standing still for more than twenty minutes. When I checked however, my legs and feet weren’t swollen this time, just very painful.

Do any of you experience this swelling and/or pain in your legs and feet from standing still for a period of time? 

Have you always experienced this, or is it something you’ve noticed since your IPF/PF diagnosis?

I’d love to hear from you as I’m not entirely sure this is related to my lung disease, but it is something I never used to experience. Thanks in advance!

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Moses Samson

October 9, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Hi Charlene,

I experience the same pains in my joints amd chest. Sometimes the full body feels so sore and getting up from chair also feels so painful. When I told this to my doc he gave me pain killers and the pains would subside after taking them. But the next day its still the same. I think its good to get tested for Rhumatoid Arthritis as I found many people have RA along with IPF over the internet.

During the initial stages of my diagnosis I was tested for RA but it was negative. I started experiencing the pains from past two months. And I take pain killers often to get temporary relief.. Need to get to the root cause of the pains.

• Charlene Marshall

October 9, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Hi Moses,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and sharing a bit about your experience regarding this topic. It feels like an unusual symptom for me, so I wasn’t sure how many people would be able to relate to it. I sure wish it wasn’t something others could relate to me about, but I am thankful for the time you took to reach out regarding this.

I’m glad your pain killers helped alleviate the pain when this would happen. How often did you experience this Moses, and was it after something specific (ie. exercise or standing for long periods of time)? You’re right, there is a link between IPF and RA. I will keep that in mind if this doesn’t go away, or gets progressively worse. Will your doctor test you for RA again do you think now that the pain is getting worse for you? I hope you find some answers soon.

Warm regards,
      Charlene.