Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Prednisone/Vitamin D deficiency

• Prednisone/Vitamin D deficiency

Posted by pete-besio on March 10, 2023 at 4:12 pm

After much consultation with my Pulmonologist, I began a daily regimen of 10mg Prednisone in October 2022. I found it to be really helpful  in my daily life and energy level. As part of the consultation, my Pulmonologist recommended a daily Vitamin D supplement, as apparently Prednisone can effect Vitamin D levels. A few weeks ago, I was feeling very lethargic, borderline depressed.  Seemed to be a slow skid.  Did a little internet sleuthing and discovered that these are signs of vitamin D deficiency.  Discussed with my Pumonologist, agreed to have a blood test done and sure enough i was deficient in Vitamin D.  Increased supplemement from 800IU to 1600 IU, increased my excercise and outdoor activities, and BOOM felt WAY better within a couple of days.  Vitamin D….I never would have thought it could make such a difference.

I am really fortunate to have the relationship with my Pulmonologist that I do.  Between the two of us, we are plotting a path to deal with this stuff.

Pete Besio

herbie replied 1 year, 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • mark-selbert

March 10, 2023 at 4:46 pm

Prednisone was a wonder drug for me. My lung inflammation cleared up within months unfortunately the Prednisone caused my bone density to be Way below normal. Now taking a once a week drug to help with my bone density plus I am taking vitamin d 2000 iu each Day . Cheers

• pete-besio

March 10, 2023 at 4:54 pm

Mark,

Do you take the 2000IU all at once or multiple times daily?

• msherbert

March 10, 2023 at 11:08 pm

Prednisone and inhaled corticosteroids really help my inflammation and my cough. I was taking 2000 iu vitamin D daily but my blood levels were low so I now take 4000 iu daily. If you don’t know what your level is you can ask your doctor for a blood test to check.

• herbie

March 19, 2023 at 6:27 am

I take vitamin D3 supplement also, 4000ugs 3 times per week (stay in northern hemisphere where most of us are low due to lack of exposure to enough sunlight)  to keep immune system  levels higher and to improve bone density  however I also take it with vitamin K2 mk7, which binds to the vitamin D to take it into the ones etc, and stops the build up of calcium in the blood vessels which for obvious reasons you want to avoid.