This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charlene Marshall 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Charlene Marshall 
    Keymaster

Before my diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in early 2016, I have to admit that I was very oblivious to the importance of caring for your respiratory health. This is likely because most people without a lung condition take breathing for granted in general, plus I was a healthy, vibrant and very active twenty eight year old: why would I be on the look out for signs of a possible lung disease?

Since my life drastically changed in April 2016, which is when I was diagnosed with IPF, I’ve become very aware of just how fragile the lungs are and why it is so important to be proactive in protecting them. I had no idea that persistent bouts of pneumonia could cause IPF, nor did I know the physiological damage that can occur from inhaling toxic fumes, even indirectly. When I saw people wearing a mask in public, I used to assume they were contagious as opposed to thinking about it from the perspective of maybe wanting to protect their lungs or immune system from crowds of unhealthy people. I can now empathize with those people and have come to appreciate the importance of wearing a mask to protect your lungs, and in particular, to protect mine from any further damage.

I choose to wear a mask to protect my lungs from some of the more common things someone might think of as risky to our respiratory health. Those things include: wearing a mask around people who are sick with some type of respiratory virus or bacterial infection. I also am very proactive in putting on my mask if I am in an area where I know people will be smoking, or when I am exposed to cold air for long periods of time. However, I am curious to hear from other patients about the following scenarios:

• Spending time at the hair salon and potentially inhaling the chemicals or strong scents from the hair dye.
    • Indirectly breathing in the fumes while filling your vehicle with gas.
    • Keeping pet dandruff to a minimum to ensure it isn’t inhaled, including a cat’s litter box.
    • Dust: whether it is in your home, vehicle or environmental things like pollen or poor air quality.

In any of these specific situations, as a patient living with IPF/PF: do you take precautions to proactively protect your lungs from possible exposure? 

Have you been told about any other potentially dangerous inhalations that could pose a risk to your respiratory health? 

Rudolf Ross 
    Participant

I am from Australia and I joined this site to get a better understanding of what’s happening elsewhere in the world.

I  am 77 and was diagnosed in 2017 with a combination of IPF and Emphysema? not sure about that.

Weekly I go to a thing called a men’s shed where men get together and make things out of wood or metal or repair thing broken, as it is a big dust hazard I use the professional dust masks when working or entering the workshops.

Twice a week I go to a hospital organized lung rehabilitation class where we do chest and lung expanding exercises to help us breath better, also lose a bit of weight, not sure if the exercises work but weight loss is good.

Cheers

Rudi

Charlene Marshall 
    Keymaster

Hi Rudi,

Thanks so much for joining this topic thread – I love hearing from others, especially from those around the world! I visited your beautiful country three times between 2015 – 2017 from Canada, and loved it. I consider Australia my second home, and can’t wait to return for a visit. Which part of Australia are you from? I spent some time going to Melbourne Uni and loved that city! I know the Alfred Hospital well, there are some great folks in the area of lung transplantation there!

I’m glad you use a dust mask when utilizing your hobbies at the Men’s Shed. So important, especially for those of us with compromised lungs. I shudder when I see people unknowingly exposing their lungs to hazards like concrete, mould, etc.

I find the lung rehabilitation program very helpful too Rudi. Glad you’re enjoying yours! I typically do mine in 6 or 8 week long sessions, take a break and then begin again. I’m hopeful I can start one again soon actually.

Thanks again for writing, and I hope you had a nice weekend.
    Cheers,
    Charlene.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account