Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Protecting Your Lungs As a Patient with IPF.

• Protecting Your Lungs As a Patient with IPF.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on November 19, 2018 at 9:02 am

Before my diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in early 2016, I have to admit that I was very oblivious to the importance of caring for your respiratory health. This is likely because most people without a lung condition take breathing for granted in general, plus I was a healthy, vibrant and very active twenty eight year old: why would I be on the look out for signs of a possible lung disease?

Since my life drastically changed in April 2016, which is when I was diagnosed with IPF, I’ve become very aware of just how fragile the lungs are and why it is so important to be proactive in protecting them. I had no idea that persistent bouts of pneumonia could cause IPF, nor did I know the physiological damage that can occur from inhaling toxic fumes, even indirectly. When I saw people wearing a mask in public, I used to assume they were contagious as opposed to thinking about it from the perspective of maybe wanting to protect their lungs or immune system from crowds of unhealthy people. I can now empathize with those people and have come to appreciate the importance of wearing a mask to protect your lungs, and in particular, to protect mine from any further damage.

I choose to wear a mask to protect my lungs from some of the more common things someone might think of as risky to our respiratory health. Those things include: wearing a mask around people who are sick with some type of respiratory virus or bacterial infection. I also am very proactive in putting on my mask if I am in an area where I know people will be smoking, or when I am exposed to cold air for long periods of time. However, I am curious to hear from other patients about the following scenarios:

• Spending time at the hair salon and potentially inhaling the chemicals or strong scents from the hair dye.
    • Indirectly breathing in the fumes while filling your vehicle with gas.
    • Keeping pet dandruff to a minimum to ensure it isn’t inhaled, including a cat’s litter box.
    • Dust: whether it is in your home, vehicle or environmental things like pollen or poor air quality.

In any of these specific situations, as a patient living with IPF/PF: do you take precautions to proactively protect your lungs from possible exposure? 

Have you been told about any other potentially dangerous inhalations that could pose a risk to your respiratory health? 

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Rudolf Ross

February 10, 2019 at 6:05 pm

I am from Australia and I joined this site to get a better understanding of what’s happening elsewhere in the world.

I  am 77 and was diagnosed in 2017 with a combination of IPF and Emphysema? not sure about that.

Weekly I go to a thing called a men’s shed where men get together and make things out of wood or metal or repair thing broken, as it is a big dust hazard I use the professional dust masks when working or entering the workshops.

Twice a week I go to a hospital organized lung rehabilitation class where we do chest and lung expanding exercises to help us breath better, also lose a bit of weight, not sure if the exercises work but weight loss is good.

Cheers

Rudi

• Charlene Marshall

February 10, 2019 at 9:01 pm

Hi Rudi,

Thanks so much for joining this topic thread – I love hearing from others, especially from those around the world! I visited your beautiful country three times between 2015 – 2017 from Canada, and loved it. I consider Australia my second home, and can’t wait to return for a visit. Which part of Australia are you from? I spent some time going to Melbourne Uni and loved that city! I know the Alfred Hospital well, there are some great folks in the area of lung transplantation there!

I’m glad you use a dust mask when utilizing your hobbies at the Men’s Shed. So important, especially for those of us with compromised lungs. I shudder when I see people unknowingly exposing their lungs to hazards like concrete, mould, etc.

I find the lung rehabilitation program very helpful too Rudi. Glad you’re enjoying yours! I typically do mine in 6 or 8 week long sessions, take a break and then begin again. I’m hopeful I can start one again soon actually.

Thanks again for writing, and I hope you had a nice weekend.
    Cheers,
    Charlene.