Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Protecting our Lungs during Wildfire Season

• Protecting our Lungs during Wildfire Season

Posted by Christie Patient on August 30, 2021 at 2:21 pm

Wildfire season is here again, and due to climate change it seems to be worse each year. My family lives in Northern California, where devastating wildfires have ravaged the land over the past month. My mom, Holly has taken steps to protect her lungs from dangerous air quality.

1. Stay inside as much as possible, with the windows closed.
    2. Invest in quality air purifiers. She and my dad have two from Blueair. The larger one runs continuously in the open concept downstairs of their house, and the smaller one runs in their bedroom.
    3. Wear an N95 or N99 respirator when going outside. These masks filter out particulate matter that surgical masks and cloth face coverings do not. Be sure to get a mask from a reputable merchant (not Amazon!) as fake look alike masks are being sold. Check the link above to start your research and find an approved mask. Also be sure to check the fit and wear the mask correctly 🙂

While it has looked and felt a bit like the apocalypse over here in NorCal, we are doing our best to stay safe and healthy. The consequences of locking down–for covid and for wildfire smoke–can be decreased mental and physical health. So, if like us, you are taking extra steps to protect your lungs, please remember to take care of the rest of you too! Living room workouts, yoga, meditation, and over-the-phone therapy are all important tools you can use to care for yourself.

Are you affected by wildfires? What are you doing to protect yourself at home and outside? Are you prepared to deal with potential power outages, or evacuation orders?

Christie Patient replied 2 years, 7 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.