Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Returning to Work with a New Diagnosis

• Returning to Work with a New Diagnosis

Posted by christie on March 31, 2022 at 9:43 am

Many of us have had to make changes in our professional lives in the past few years. Whether due to the pandemic, a new diagnosis, or the progression of PF, most of us can relate to the need to suddenly adjust our career goals or work routine.

In this column by Ann Reynoso, we get a glimpse into the life of someone who is taking charge and returning to work after her diagnosis. Ann quit her job as a professor when she started to become more ill with complex IPF. Several years ago, she was in the throes of finding a diagnosis, and then the pandemic hit. Now that her life has leveled out some, she is ready to reclaim part of what her illness took from her. She is going to start working again at a local college this fall. Her perseverance comes in part because of her diagnosis–she has a new perspective on life and wants to show her students that she can still live her life with IPF.

Have you had to quit or make changes to your professional life due to PF/IPF? Have you been able to, or do you even want to return to work? What feelings come up when you think about work and your illness?

christie replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • earl-robinson

April 3, 2022 at 1:06 pm

The purpose for my writing here is to encourage some of you older guests that there is still life after IPF. I am on 10-12L of O2 during the day when I’m moving around some but mostly sitting and my O2 level can drop into the 70’s when I walk very short distances, say 20 or 30′. At night I reduce the O2 level to 6L.
    At age 83 I’m not planning to return to work. I was diagnosed with IPF 3 or more years ago and my condition is pretty stable now. Since my brain still functions about as good as it always has, I use it as I sit most days. I do go to pulmonary therapy to work out with some monitoring of what I’m doing. I also do some volunteer work helping with some desk chores for a small non-profit that helps to keep my mind active. There are some other groups I help with horticulture questions, and this also keeps my mind busy. Keep busy and do what you can, as long as you can. It isn’t easy but important to stay connected doing good for whom ever you can. You can always tell someone about Jesus after you have a relationship with Him. Read the some of the Bible starting in the book of Romans or the book of John. Then just keep reading for more comfort and suggestions of how to tell others about what God, through His son has already done for us. Hoping we connect after we leave this life and head onto eternity.

• christie

April 5, 2022 at 5:01 am

Thank you for sharing Earl, you make some excellent points. There is a lot we can do with our brains from a place of comfort (the couch, etc.) when it’s harder to get around. Keeping up with exercise as you can tolerate it, pulmonary rehab, therapy etc. are all important, but I like your suggestions of doing volunteer work and getting involved with groups relevant to your interests. Staying connected with others over common interests is super important for mental health. Reading, writing, and faith studies/conversations also, if that is your path. Thank you for all of these great ideas and motivation to stay sharp even in older age with PF. 🙂