Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Navigating Society Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness & Advocacy September is PF Awareness Month and Time for the Flu Shot!

• September is PF Awareness Month and Time for the Flu Shot!

Posted by Mark Koziol on September 8, 2020 at 3:00 pm

September is Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Month. I also associate September with getting my flu shot. I recently had my quarterly lung transplant appointment and my doctor reiterated the importance of scheduling my flu shot. My appointment was in August and the vaccine was not available at that time. Since I was diagnosed with IPF, I have always been given a high dose vaccine. This is specific for elderly and immuno-compromised individuals. Please check with your physician on which vaccine they want you to take. Many drug stores now administer the vaccine and they also have the high dosage vaccines available.

The Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials website recently published two articles on the flu season this year. The first article is titled, “Why You Definitely Need to Get a Flu Shot This Year” and the second is titled, “How to Prepare for Flu Season in the Time of COVID-19”. Both articles are informative and medically helpful for our members. I am hoping this flu season in the northern hemisphere is not severe and widespread. Australia is in the midst of its flu season and by all accounts, it has not been severe. Many health analysts believe precautions taken for COVID-19 have facilitated the favorable outcome in Australia. I hope for the same results for those of us here in the north. 

Every September, pulmonary fibrosis patients, caregivers, and medical professionals try to make the general public aware of pulmonary fibrosis. I feel this recognition has helped with research institutions obtaining funds to combat this devastating disease. Last year I wrote a column on the Pulmonary Fibrosis News site titled, “Spread the Word: September Is PF Awareness Month”. Please make others aware of this awful disease.

Will you be getting a flu shot this year? If so, will you get a high dosage or regular dosage?

Will you bring PF awareness to one other person?

Karen Martin replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 15, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Hi Mark,

I recently had an appointment with my pulmonary doctor and I told him that I was going to get my flu shot. He advised me to wait until October as the shot only lasts about 4 months and the worst time for the flu is Dec.-Jan. If I get it too early it may wear off before the season is over. Just a heads up.

Be well

Barry Wines

• Mark Koziol

September 15, 2020 at 3:42 pm

Hello Barry, thank you for commenting. Just like with anything, doctors also have their own thoughts and practice. All doctors have their own reasons and methods why they do things. I went to the cdc and looked at their protocol and they recommended getting the shot in September/October. August is too early. Remember it takes two weeks for the shot to take effect. Here is the link https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-flu-season-2020-2021.htm. So your doctor is correct but also getting the shot in September would not be too early. Please make sure you get the high dosage flu shot. Take care and breath easy, Mark.

• Karen Martin

September 26, 2020 at 11:06 am

Hello, Mark and Barry.
    I have also read the information that getting the flu shot in October is optimal, but this year there has been a question of whether or not there might not be enough flu vaccine left it we wait until late October. I don’t know if that is actually a possibility, but perhaps earlier is better, just in case? In any case, my plan is to go in the coming week, which will be both September AND October! 🙂