• Stem Cell Therapy is Investigated by the Washington Post

Posted by mark-koziol on December 3, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Yesterday I read an article that was published in the Washington Post. The article is regarding the stem cell therapy advertised by the Lung Health Institute. This is the first time I have seen a major publication do an investigative report on the Lung Health Institute. The article reaffirms what medical professionals and the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation have been saying all along. The stem cell treatments are ineffective and the company preys upon desperate persons who are inflicted with a devastating illness such as pulmonary fibrosis. Many of the patients who pay for the medical treatments are often left seriously in debt or have exhausted all of their savings.

I have often wondered if someday stem cell therapy will be effective on PF patients. I am curious to know if you feel stem cell therapy will ever be found effective?

mark-koziol replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jim-nox

December 12, 2019 at 12:13 pm

I tried the therapy in August. One area in your article is, I think, in error; The Lung Health Institute avoids use of the term “stem cell therapy”, as this term would bring them under more stringent Federal review. Instead, they use such terms as “Autolagous cell therapy” or similar. As of yet, I have not experienced any identifiable benefit from the treatment, although “hope springs eternal”. The treatment itself was quick, simple, pain-free, and with friendly folks in a clinical setting. Of course, it is fairly expensive considering the lack of objective and rigorous published measurement of benefit/detriment. Only patient subjective testimonials based on non-rigorous survey’s. I am now eligible for a repeat or “booster” treatment at a discounted price but will probably pass. I cannot blame or warn anyone dealing with this nasty disease for giving it a try (if you can afford it), but would not personally mortgage my house or borrow money in order to do so.

• mark-koziol

December 12, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Hello Jim, thank you for sharing your experience. It’s too bad this procedure did not benefit you as their advertisements state they will. I think your comments will help forum members better understand how the Lung Health Institute operates from a first person point of view. Thank you again and best wishes, Mark.