Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: Young Adults The benefits of physical wellness with IPF

• The benefits of physical wellness with IPF

Posted by Charlene Marshall on January 1, 2024 at 2:00 pm

Hi, forum community,

I hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday season. Hard to believe 2024 is here!

A common New Year’s resolution for a lot of people is to get into shape, start an exercise routine, or lose weight. I’ve been reflecting a lot on my physical wellness journey the past two months and wanted to share some of those thoughts with this community… who knows, perhaps it could be helpful to some of you.

I don’t want to call the program I’ve been doing exercise, because as we all know, IPF makes it difficult to participate in a regular exercise program. That said, in anticipation of a surgery coming up I’ve been doing some pre-rehab work with a trainer and physiotherapist. Both are acutely aware of my lung disease so all activities are tailored to my abilities. Aside from the physical benefits, I never imagined there would be so many benefits to a wellness program like this as well. To name a few:

• I simply feel stronger. The pounds I’ve been able to chest press on the ground have doubled and then some, so my core strength just feels a lot stronger than I’ve ever felt before.
    • Mentally this program gives me some clarity and stress relief. It’s nice to be able to productively release the stress from my body.
    • Work-life balance! This has been the biggest benefit to me, as I have to allow myself enough time to change, pack my 02, and drive to the gym before my session. This means I’m forced to shut down my work laptop by a certain time of day, which is good for me.

Do any of you participate in a physical wellness program with a trainer, or have you in the past? Was it helpful for you? I’d love to hear from others as it’s been very surprising to me how much I have enjoyed this program!

replied 4 months, 1 week ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.