Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ The Importance of Exercising Your Brain

• The Importance of Exercising Your Brain

Posted by Mark Koziol on May 3, 2019 at 6:51 pm

I tend to read many articles related to different parts of our anatomy, especially when a medical condition may affect me. Since my transplant, and taking the required medicines to fight rejection I’ve felt that I have been losing my short term memory on occasion. I previously wrote a forum topic on tacrolimus and its effect on my memory loss. The brain is the organ we turn to when we think of memory loss. Common brain disorders are (to name a few): Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and strokes. Before I experienced memory loss, I never would have thought medicine could be a cause of memory loss.

I came across a publication written by the Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health; Brain Health Treatment Guide. The publication lays out a plan to improve your brain health. I found this publication to be informative and relatable to my current experience as a patient with IPF, post lung transplantation. The guide is full of recommendations, and written in an easy to read document. What I found interesting is that maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including certain components of said lifestyle, will help us “to create a brain span that matches your life span”.  I am sort of feeling this way now. Since I began working as co-moderator and columnist at Pulmonary Fibrosis News, I feel I have been slightly improving with my memory loss. I am reading and writing more. My brain is getting a little more exercise and I am not forgetting my words as often.

I encourage all forum members to read the document enclosed above. It is an excellent resource even if you have not experienced any type of brain disorder or memory loss. I am interested if other forum members have felt they have problems with memory loss or had a brain disorder.

If you had memory problems or a brain disorder, have you done anything to rectify this condition?

replied 4 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.