Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Koziol
      Participant

I recently returned from a 3 week European vacation. My wife and I visited Poland, Italy, Greece and Vienna, Austria. A major cause of my anxiety was the anticipation of carrying a significant amount of prescription medications across borders. I didn’t really know what to expect from other countries. Since my transplant we have traveled within the confines of the USA, but never crossed international borders. When I traveled within the USA I never brought my original prescription bottles with us. I used the 7 day pill box pictured at the top of the page, and I placed the other medications in plastic sandwich bags until I prepared my next week pill regiment.

The thought of being detained and not allowed to bring my medicine regiment into another country gave me anxious moments. My transplant doctor wrote a detailed letter outlining my diagnosis and how having access to my medicine was a life or death situation for me.  For this trip, I used my pillbox and the original prescription bottles to avoid any type of problem. This made my backpack a little more bulky but it was well worth the outcome. I even had prescription liquid bottles over the required amount and was never questioned. All my anxious moments were for nothing. What a relief!

I am interested to hear of our forum members experience of traveling with prescribed medications across borders.

What has your experience been with this?

Steve Dragoo
      Participant

Hi Mark,

Before returning to the Philippines, I shipped lots of supplements (and other stuff) and was concerned some but having been in and out of the country 12 times I sorta understood what to be careful about. Of course that changes all the time.

It was a different matter when my wife and I traveled to Malaysia last month. I had a minor stroke a little over 4 years ago and it was then discovered I have a flattened pituitary (unknown cause but it regulates all the male strength and endurance hormones). I was prescribed Androgel for that and put some in a couple different small baggies, hoping I would not be asked about it since it was far less than 3 oz.

Also diabetic so I took all of the daily supplements and pills mixed in 3 bottles which included the 21 pills per day from Wei laboratories. Again hoping no questions and only brought enough of everything to last 6 days. I figured if they took anything it would be just a few days to get back on track.  What I did not anticipate was Air Asia at the gate wanted to know where my onward ticket to/from the Philippines was. That amazed me for a ticket agent to be acting as Filipino border agent. – I was not happy about that because the purpose of that trip was for my wife and I to travel out of the Philippines with our marriage papers and upon returning to the Philippines I would get a 1-year stamp on my passport – NO onward ticket needed or visa. The gate agent had no idea what I was talking about and it could have been very problematic if she had bounced me (illegally I might add). I have flown on Air Asia a number of times but after filing a complaint and receiving a vague answer (called profiling), I will not fly that airline again.

Customs had no questions in or out of Malaysia but they did monitor the weight carefully of our carry-on luggage.  So anyone traveling really needs to expect the unexpected since every country has it own set of changing rules.

Glad your journey was smooth – ours was too except for the gate agent.

Stay well,

Steve

Mark Koziol
      Participant

Hello Steve, thank you for sharing your traveling experience. I’m glad you made it through with all of your medications intact. I also encountered an agent in Austria who was adamant about the weight of carry on luggage. After some reshuffling by my wife we made it through but I didn’t expect to encounter this added hassle.  Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account