• Using Elderberry to Combat Cold and Flu Symptoms

Posted by Mark Koziol on November 20, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I am fortunate enough to live near a world class health care facility. I live in Cleveland, Ohio home of the main campus of the Cleveland Clinic. The Clinic is a major research and educational institution. I have been diagnosed and treated for my IPF and subsequently received my single lung transplant there. I receive health related news articles on my twitter feed and email. A majority of these articles are useful to me. I do pass a majority of the news articles on to other people whom I feel could use the information.

Since it is cold and flu season I am sharing a post the Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials website sent me titled, “Flu, Bronchitis, Pneumonia: How Long Are You Contagious?” The news article is easy to read and provides facts on several medical disorders that are contagious. The news article gives a time frame on how long someone is contagious, how the illness spreads, and how a person can stop the spreading of their illness to others.

Going along with the theme of colds and flu, I am sharing a news article regarding how elderberry is a natural way to boost immunity. There have been several small studies to support the using of elderberry to boost your immunity to help fight off cold and flu symptoms. I currently take elderberry gummies and have for the past year, but I also take my flu shot every year. Unfortunately I do catch some type of virus  once a year, usually in the spring time. I like to believe the elderberry gummies assist my immune system to alleviate my symptoms.

I am interested to know if any of our members take elderberry or take another supplement over the counter to increase your immune system?

Mark Koziol replied 4 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • john styles

November 21, 2019 at 8:20 am

I am going on 2 years without being sick. I use the ultra violet light in my air handler which kills viruses,  use premium air filters. I take Allicin the ingredient in garlic that has anti bacterial benefits and I take Dapsone, prescribed by my pulmonologist  and has immune system benefits, it was originally prescribed for leopsary. I have hand sanitizer in bigger jars in my car and keep small bottle in my pocket, if I touch a door, menu, etc I wipe my hands. If I am in the grocery store and some one coughs or sneezes I go the other way. All this after getting a cold when first diagnosed. I may try the elderberry, sounds good.

• David Ota

November 21, 2019 at 1:11 pm

John, I applaud your effort.  I have hand sanitizer in my truck and desk.  I travel with several small bottles because I lose them so often.  I also avoid coughing and sneezing people when I’m out and wear my mask when I’m on a plane.  I also drink elderberry tea, but because I like the tea.  I started when I was an IPF patient.  Having lost my battle with IPF, I am now a lung transplant survivor.  I chuckle at the comment to assist my immune system since I actively take drugs to suppress my immune system.  The thought of a flu as a transplant patient makes me cringe.  Good Luck

• Mark Koziol

November 21, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Hello David, thank you for sharing. I have had the flu once since transplant. The tamiflu and the other liquids they gave knocked the flu out in one day but my wife contracted strep throat while she was waiting for me in ER. I think they kept me in the hospital an extra cpl days so she could recover and not infect me. The next morning in the hospital I walked a mile. I guess the tamiflu is a wonder drug. I also try to avoid contact when I’m out. Take care and stay healthy! Mark

• Mark Koziol

November 21, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Hello John, thank you for commenting. I thank you for offering other suggestions on how you stay healthy. Our forum members appreciate your input. I follow some  of your suggestions as well. Mark

• David Ota

November 21, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Mark, that’s great on the tamiflu.  I avoid people, eating out, etc during the cold and flu season.  I did not know tamiflu was that effective.  So far I’ve escaped the flu as an x-men 🙂

• Mark Koziol

November 21, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Hello David, happy I can be of help. I tend to stay away as well. Since transplant I have been getting sick every March -April. My wife is a teacher and unfortunately she is a carrier of childhood viruses. She doesn’t get sick but she gives me an early birthday present. Thanks David. Take care, Mark.

• Peggy Anderson

January 8, 2020 at 6:29 pm

I am newly diagnosed with IPF and I seem to have a cold sneezing and coughing but clear discharge. I am not sure when to go to a doctor for assessment? I do not have temp but a bit nauseated….

• Mark Koziol

January 8, 2020 at 6:45 pm

Hello Peggy, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. From my experience; since your discharge is clear you most likely do not have an infection. Because I have had a transplant they still want me to contact my coordinator. They then have me go to clinic and get nasal swabbed for upper respiratory infections or virus. My last swab in October was positive for the rhinovirus. It’s a cold but now they know about it and can monitor me. My suggestion would be to contact or go to your family doctor and get evaluated. As pf patients are immune systems are compromised and we need to be cognizant of this. I wouldn’t want you to get sicker. If anything at least the medical professionals will know what is going on with you. Mark

• Doug Jones

January 9, 2020 at 12:48 pm

Consumer Reports recently reported on “The Best Flu Treatment for You”  which includes many of the suggestions noted in the previous comments.  However, Elderberry has very limited research support so I would be skeptical of that.  See the full report at https://www.consumerreports.org/flu/the-best-flu-treatment-for-you/
    Elderberry (which comes in liquid, tablet, gummy, and tea form and is said by some to ease congestion; elderberries are shown at top) and the homeopathic product Oscillococcinum, which is marketed to “temporarily relieve flu-like symptoms,” appear to be in high demand—selling out in some stores. But whether it’s a botanical such as elderberry or oregano oil, a vitamin or mineral, or a homeopathic remedy like Oscillococcinum, “there’s no good research on any of them,” says Marvin M. Lipman, M.D., Consumer Reports’ chief medical adviser. 

The key word here is “good,” notes Lipman, and while small, preliminary studies have shown some promising possibilities for the flu-symptom-reducing effects of elderberry and oregano oil, larger, longer, and more rigorous studies are needed.

• Mark Koziol

January 9, 2020 at 1:03 pm

Hello Doug, thank you for sharing the consumers report article. I follow their recommendations on big purchases and also find their articles informative and useful. I also find them to be an unbiased and reliable source. Mark