EGCG Research Providing Hope for IPF Patients

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

Our Pulmonary Fibrosis Forum has been active regarding EGCG and the treatment of IPF. I haven’t commented or replied about the topic and felt I needed more research to reinforce hope for IPF patients. I found an article titled, “The Effects of Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG) on Pulmonary Fibroblasts of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF)—A Next-Generation Sequencing and Bioinformatic Approach.” The article appeared in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences.

The verbiage in the article is heavily laden with medical vocabulary. I used an online dictionary when I was reading and I had to refer to it several times . Fortunately, the abstract and conclusion are comprehensible for laypersons.

The authors write, “Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is a polyphenol, which is the major biological component of green tea.” The research is devoted to applying the EGCG component to the fibroblasts. The writers conclude, “Our findings provide a scientific basis to evaluate the potential benefits of EGCG in IPF treatment, and warrant future studies to understand the role of molecular pathways underlying cholesterol homeostasis in the pathogenesis of IPF.”

This research provides hope and reinforcement to the article published in the Pulmonary Fibrosis News regarding EGCG and treating IPF.

Please read the article, it is free. Charlene and I would love to hear what you have to say about this research article. 

Jerry Genesio
      Participant

Mark – I just sent Charlene a note informing her I was considering discontinuing EGCG because of my continuing unexplained weight loss, but the article you referred to in the PFNews gives me second thoughts. I’d be interested in any comment(s) you might offer.

Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

Hello Jerry, thank you for commenting. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with maintaining your weight. I have not heard anything about the supplement unless it comes from a forum member. I will continue to search for other research conclusions and will share with forum. Your input regarding your unfortunate side effect is valuable to other forum members.  Maintaining a healthy weight is crucial to a pf patients quality of life. Take care, mark.

Steve Dragoo
      Participant

Thanks, Mark for the short but accurate summary of EGCG. Started a low dose a few weeks ago and am increasing it to suggested recommendations. Also, have 1 strong green tea in the afternoon – seems to help. – Steve

Mark Koziol
      Keymaster

Hello Steve, thank you for commenting. I hope you see improvement in lung function or at the least remain stable. Take care, Mark.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account