Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Choosing to Go Gluten Free as a Patient with PF: Do You Notice a Difference?

• Choosing to Go Gluten Free as a Patient with PF: Do You Notice a Difference?

Posted by Charlene Marshall on August 12, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Before my diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in 2016, I never would have imagined the impact a lung disease could have on my relationship with food. There have been a few popular topics on our forum about food and how IPF can impact those of us living with this lung disease.

As an example, many of you were kind enough to reply to my forum post about food preferences when I am struggling to eat, or about the importance of a healthy diet both pre and post lung transplantation. It seems that many of us are curious for more information about how our relationship, preferences or interest in different foods can change following a diagnosis of IPF/PF.

I’ve been giving some thought to how I can change my diet in order to just feel better. While weight loss is not my priority at this time (it is just to feel healthier overall); losing weight is always an added bonus. I’ve heard a lot lately about the common fad diets, and how they can lead to rapid weight loss (ie. Ketogenic diet, Isagenix etc) but I have to question how good that is for you. However, I do have several friends who have benefited from going gluten free, and not only have they lost weight, they have also naturally eliminated a lot of their stomach and digestion troubles.

Typically speaking, I understand that gluten is not a necessary part of our diet and it could be argued that this is also the latest “fad”. However, given the personal stories from friends and even a few family members, I am inclined to try this and see if it just makes me feel better / healthier.

Have any of you switched to a gluten-free diet, or become more conscious of eating gluten since your IPF/PF diagnosis?

If so, have you noticed a difference in the way you feel? I also actively try to eliminate white sugar, and carbs from my diet and eat more natural foods ie. using honey to sweeten tea. I’m really new to all of this, although I never really ate poorly before; I am just curious to see if it makes a difference in how I feel while living with a chronic illness.

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Steve Dragoo

August 14, 2018 at 8:52 am

Hi Charlene,

I think it helps a lot of people to go free because of gmo, sprays and general growing intolerance to our environment.  Going vegan or mostly raw has significant benefits – if it is generally organic.  I like green smoothies for a number of helpful reasons such as energy, calmness, better sleep not bloated, small and large intestines perform better, and I’m sure plenty of other reasons.

Also I was glad to see Michael? post about his success with flax oil and grape seed oil.  I try to use ground flax every day.  Will look into grape seed oil but curious what in it has been determined to help. If it is the pycnogenol, I believe pine tree bark is a superior form.  If anyone has any insight on that one, please share.

Great day to you!

Steve

• Charlene Marshall

August 14, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your reply to this topic thread. It’s something I’m really interested in, and I actually believe it is making a difference for me so any discussions based on others’ experiences or knowledge is of interest to me right now.

I haven’t yet been able to really educate myself in non-gmo products, or organic options just due to everything on my mind right now. That being said, if it is between an organic product vs. not (ie. bananas) I will always opt for the organic option. I still currently eat a diet with most kinds of foods, including meat and good fats. What I’ve really been working on cutting down and basically eliminating is carbs, any form of non-natural sugar and things high in gluten. I’m not totally gluten free yet, but even adjusting these foods has really helped my system I think. This past weekend I was at the cottage and I ate some meals with my family, and I really paid for it in terms of stomach upset. I really think it was either a slight flu or that my body much prefers the diet I’d changed to recently, as my GI system was not happy. I regularly eat smoothies too, for at least one meal and I usually add either chia seeds, hemp hearts or flax seed with an organic greens (I like Subi greens) with a protein powder and just a little fruit. Usually I have 1 each day as a meal replacement for either breakfast or lunch. Glad it is a good option for you as well!

I can’t say that I have much to contribute re: the grapeseed oil, but if I hear anything from others I’ll be sure to post it here and let you know. If others have experience with this, I’d also welcome your feedback.

I hope you’re doing well Steve, and as always, thanks for writing.
    Cheers,
    Charlene.

• Susan Howitt

September 10, 2018 at 5:22 am

I have cut out carbs almost completely, or carbs in the sense that most people see them, ie all breads, pastries, cakes, biscuits, crackers, cereals etc.  I found that in doing this I have seriously curtailed my acid reflux and my gall bladder is not complaining so vehemently. (only had gall bladder problems in the last four months.)  Was hoping doing this would drop the weight but after the first 5 kilo loss haven’t budged a gram, sad.  Tried gluten free, didn’t work for me, so it is not gluten that causes my problems.

• Charlene Marshall

September 10, 2018 at 6:52 am

Hi Susan,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this topic as well. I’m like you and have cut out most carbs (though I’ve “cheated” the last week or so, and certainly notice a difference) and overall feel significantly better. I don’t struggle with acid reflux, thankfully, but my stomach issues have seemed to subside better than they ever had before. I now really notice when I consume too many carbs, or ones that my body doesn’t like due to unpleasant symptoms. Sometimes I wonder if I’ve done my body a disservice? However, when I am feeling better, it really is worth it to reduce the carbs significantly.

Have you tried the low carb, high *good* fats diet? It usually is effective in rapid weight loss, although it isn’t sustainable so you do need to be careful with it. It’s technically called the keto diet, but I don’t follow the exact diet because it isn’t good for you. However, following its general rule of consuming foods high in good fats, and low carbs tends to work as well. Just an option if you haven’t tried yet and were interested 🙂

Take care,
    Charlene.

• Susan Howitt

September 10, 2018 at 11:20 am

Hi Charlene  Thanks

Just looked at the Keto diet, looks just like what I am eating but without the pastry, bread, rice or noodles.  I have to be quite inventive because here, in the back of beyond, things are very seasonal, I know winter is going to be very boring food wise as the only fruits I will be able to get are apples,  oranges, grapefruits and bananas  oh and lemons.  Maybe I am not losing cos I do eat a fair bit of fruit, there is a glut of quetches here at the moment (black plums) must say I have eaten rather a lot.

Can’t now eat potatoes, wont be able to get spinach, broccoli, beans and peas, peppers  and other above ground greenery unless frozen, Can get onions, garlic of course as this is France and peas and am able to buy tasteless carrots, turnips (hate the latter) and occasionally parsnips and swede. not very fond of pulses either.  So my diet in the winter will consist of mainly salads,  stir fries, Chinese dishes, stews and egg dishes.  Love cream and butter, used to be my downfall, hot buttered toast.  Sugar nor honey is in my diet at all.  Suppose honey should be as it is full of good things and antiseptic to boot.  Don’t like tea and am allergic to coffee. Fizzy drinks are also a no go, so boring water or some time a Bovril (brought from GB, doesn’t exist here)  Reading this back looks such a bad diet, will have to try and be even more inventive if I am not to suffer.  Love curries, have to make them from scratch here or use an Uncle Bens bottle yuk, full of additives.  will try making much milder ones and then maybe I can tolerate it, love coconut cream so will add that and see if I can cope with the spices.  I do cook with coconut oil, also add a bit to my dogs food does wonders too smoothed through their coats and it is also a flea deterrent !!!

• Charlene Marshall

September 11, 2018 at 3:17 am

Good Morning Susan,

It is really early here and I am just waiting to board my flight to head off on vacation. Thanks for getting back to me!

Yes the keto diet is essentially cutting out sugar, carbs and consuming a blend of healthy fats. However, it isn’t a sustainable diet, and a recent study was actually just released about not being on the keto diet long term due to the effects on the heart. It’s all so interesting! Hope you’re able to find something that works well for you, especially through the winter months. Sounds like you’re off to a good start in terms of thinking about options that might suit you.

Warmest regards,
      Charlene.

• Susan Howitt

September 11, 2018 at 3:54 am

Happy holidays, hope incident free and you enjoy yourselves.

• Charlene Marshall

September 17, 2018 at 8:47 am

Thank you so much Susan!
      I am home safe and sound now, just feeling the heavy heartache now of leaving such loved friends behind. I’ll adjust soon enough though I am sure.
      Thanks for your kind words and hope you’re doing well.

Charlene.