• Diet and Our Immune System

Posted by mark-koziol on December 8, 2020 at 1:00 pm

I recently came across an interesting article on my Twitter feed. It’s from the site Autoimmune List, which grabs my attention because it is focused solely on autoimmune disorders. The site provides information on autoimmune diseases daily. One of the topics I feel our members are interested in is how foods combat autoimmune disease. The Tweet is titled, “16 Articles about diet and the immune system.” Some articles are in abstract form, and the 16 items can be accessed via a link. The research provides valid and reliable data and offers the reader suggestions on improving their immune system through diet.

I am curious to know how many members have changed their diet because of previous forum topics and discussions. If so, what changes have you made?

mark-koziol replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • frank-loeffler

December 9, 2020 at 11:45 am

If I am properly reading the article on diet and IPF,  it appears that we should restrict our animal based proteins low levels of Methionine.  I do wonder if there is any estimate of the Methionine daily intake should max out at as a max goal to stay under?

• mark-koziol

December 9, 2020 at 1:05 pm

Hello Frank, I have began to meet with a registered dietitian. We discussed animal based proteins. The only thing she told me is I should reduce the amount of consumption of these proteins. I usually eat animal protein 6 out of the 7 days. Most of it is chicken. I’m sorry I can not give you a definitive answer but on my most recent lipid panel my cholesterol is now at 150 and my triglycerides are at 111 and my good cholesterol improved as well. In the past 6 weeks I have limited ref meat. Take care, Mark.

• john-garner

December 12, 2020 at 3:36 pm

Hello Mark, I read the articles that you referred to and am wondering if for those of us that have IPF should eat all the foods these articles recommend? All of the foods sound like a healthy diet for anyone but I’m new to IPF, only being diagnosed six months and don’t exactly which foods are good for me. Thank You, John

• mark-koziol

December 12, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Hello John, when I was diagnosed with ipf I was immediately told that I would have to lose 80 pounds in order to qualify for a lung transplant. I then went on a not so strict diet of medium to high protein and low carbs. I didn’t eat to much red meat and tried to stick to chicken and fish. It worked for me and kept me healthy. I recently met with a nutritionist and I stated what I would like to do. She recommended I try to eat more plant based protein because this will also help with my inflammation. Many of our members have an autoimmune disorder along with having pf/ipf. The foods that are mentioned in the articles will improve your overall well-being. I would also add the Mediterranean diet has been mentioned to me by more than several doctors and my nutritionist as well. For the most I do eat healthy but I also have periods sometimes extended periods where I can mow down anything in sight. Next appt speak with your pulmonologist and ask them what they prefer your diet to be. Take care and I hope I didn’t appear to be rambling. Mark