• Jerry Genesio

May 5, 2022 at 3:30 pm

I was diagnosed with IPF 2 years ago and a month or 2 later I was taken to our local medical center with very high blood pressure. When they finally got my BP down, they determined that I had atrial fibrillation and that has been constant ever since. I was immediately put on Xarelto to protect me from clots, and haven’t had any emergencies since then. I have determined that my IPF is actually Familial PF. My mother has exactly the same symptoms but her doctors were never able to diagnose the problem. She died in 2010 at age 90, at least 10 years after her PF symptoms had begun. Her father died in 1945 at age 53, and her mother in 1960 at age 72. I don’t know if either ever had any symptoms but my mother’s symptoms didn’t manifest until she was about 80. I was first diagnosed at age 81. I can’t tolerate Ofev because I’m on blood thinners, and I decided not to start Esbriet because I’m on so many meds I’m afraid of a serious incompatibility given Esbriet’s known side effects. Though I am physically limited due to shortness of breath, I’m living what I consider a full and useful life sitting at my computer working on research and writing. I’m a historian and have written 6 books focusing on local, Maine history, and my family genealogy.

• Christie Patient

May 7, 2022 at 12:28 am

Thanks for sharing Jerry. Sometimes this disease involves some critical picking-and-choosing to balance symptom management with side effects. Sounds like you’ve found a balance that works well enough. As always, love to hear that you’re keeping busy reading, writing, and enjoying intellectual pursuits. 🙂 Has your family always lived in Maine?

• LARRY

May 5, 2022 at 9:14 pm

I had a-fib about 9 years ago. It took 2 oblation to eliminate it ,but had not had any repeat a – fib until just recently. It is spotty, but comes during overexursion or breathing attacks. Very far between. 2 days in last 2 weeks. It does worry me though

• Christie Patient

May 7, 2022 at 12:29 am

Hi Larry, thanks for sharing. Would you mind telling us more about your ablation procedures? Others in the forum with Afib might find it useful to know about that treatment option. Thanks!

Chrsitie