• Charlene Marshall

May 10, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Hi Terri,

Thank you for getting in touch with us and sharing your question in the forums. This is a really good topic, and one I think many people can relate to!

For me, I haven’t had the experience of increased shortness of breath after an alcoholic drink, but I’d love to hear if others have? Did you notice you had any shortness of breath in the months leading up your IPF diagnosis, after a glass of wine or a margarita? Just would be interesting to potentially cross-reference or compare how you felt before your diagnosis to now. I haven’t heard of this before, but certainly is possible and others might be able to relate based on a similar experience. Please share with us if you have!

Warm regards,
    Charlene.

• terri-little

May 22, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Hi Charlene,

No, I didn’t have any issues prior to my diagnosis.  And, I don’t drink much, so unless it’s a special occasion I just abstain now.  I just thought it was odd that alcohol (red wine especially) would have an affect on my breathing.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Terri

• Charlene Marshall

May 22, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Hi Terri,

Great to hear from you, thanks for getting in touch.

Glad you hear you didn’t have any other health issues prior to your diagnosis, but sorry to hear of your diagnosis overall. I know not having pre-existing health conditions that might link a cause to PF is hard to accept. For the first full year after my diagnosis I tried to find the reasons ‘why’ I was diagnosed with IPF, but it was taking too much energy, as I also never had underlying or pre-existing health issues.

I agree, and think it is strange that such a specific drink ie. red wine would impact your breathing. Perhaps someday we’ll understand this better. I just read an article on how being “full” after meal can actually induce shortness of breath in PF patients as well. I’m going to do a bit more research before posting about it, but this is something I also didn’t know!

Hope you’re doing alright and thanks again for getting in touch.

Warm regards,
      Charlene.