• Posted by trishwalters on June 5, 2019 at 5:28 am

If this is duplicate, I am sorry.

I have had about 2.5 months of cough with breathlessness which started with allergy symptoms.  Runny nose, post nasal drip, itchy watery eyes, etc…  with raspy voice.  All disappeared except occasional cough with breathlessness and raspy voice.  I went to urgent care yesterday because the breathlessness was bothering me and I thought I could get an inhaler to help me along.  Lungs clear, pulse ox 98, Dr thought allergies and prescribed a nasal antihistamine.  He did a chest x-ray for thoroughness, fully expecting it to me normal.  The results showed a left nodule and hyperinflated lungs indicating emphysema.  He urged me to see pcp asap to get ct scan.  The CT Scan was yesterday and my pcp called me to say no cancer and no mention of copd.  There were areas of scaring on the outside of the lung and six month followup advised.  No mention of seeing a pulmonary doctor of seeing pcp again.  I was relieved… until I received a copy of the report.  I am so confused as it looks very ominous perhaps pointing ot pulmonary fibrosis???  Any insight on the report is appreciated.  I have learned in the past forum folks often have better understandings of conditions than pcp doctors so I am turning to you all.

Lungs and large airways: no airspace consolidation or ground glass opacity.

Here is the abnormal part:

Pleura:

There is a pleural thickening along the superior major fissure, measuring 10 x 7 mm .

There is some peripheral areas of intersitial thickening in the lung apices, many of which have the appearance of scarring with polygonal shapped borders.

At the left apex triangle or shaped subpleural nodular opacity measures 10 x 8 mm.

Dependent right upper lobe peripheral subpleural nodular opacity measures 7 x 4 mm.

There are other scattered areas of interstitial thickening.
    I am a 56 year old (scared) woman, smoked for 7 years, quitting 31 years ago at age 25.

mark-koziol replied 4 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • mark-koziol

June 5, 2019 at 7:15 am

Hello Trish, sorry you are going through this right now. I think the best option for you right now is to compile questions for your pcp. I would request an appointment with your pcp and ask him to give you the laymen’s interpretation of the ct scan. You as a patient are deserving of this as this is your right. I work for pulmonary fibrosis news so it would be improper for me to interpret the scan. Maybe another member will do for you.  We have experience but we are not doctors. I can tell you your oxygen saturation is excellent and the raspy voice might be coming from your post nasal drip. I know this because sometimes I experience raspiness as well. Especially during allergy season. This year, for some reason it has been controlled. I was inflicted with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and subsequently had a single lung transplant. If you have any other questions, please ask. Again thank you for participating and sorry I wasn’t able to answer your question about the scan. Mark