Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Navigating Society Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness & Advocacy Coughing Triggers for Patients with Pulmonary Fibrosis

• Coughing Triggers for Patients with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Posted by Charlene Marshall on May 27, 2018 at 4:13 pm

We have been talking a lot over the past few weeks about the dry cough that often accompanies other pesky symptoms for patients living with pulmonary fibrosis (PF). I have learned a lot from members of this forum about this particular symptom, and feel more prepared about how to deal with a dry cough when it begins on a regular basis for me. I am very grateful to you all for this.

In particular though, I’ve learnt a lot of different ways about how patients alleviate or stop their dry cough once it starts. Everyone has such unique ideas, and things that have worked for them in the past. I will try these suggestions next time my own cough is triggered, as thankfully it does not happen consistently right now. As I was thinking about when I might need to utilize these tips to alleviate my cough, I was reviewing the different triggers that cause me to have a dry cough, that often does not let up. I am sure many of you can relate, that the coughing, heaving and gasping for air seems to go on forever once I cough is triggered.

Speaking of triggers, I am curious about the different things that can make a patient living with PF go into a dry coughing “fit” (as I call it).

What are some things that trigger your cough as a patient living with PF?

For me, there are three main triggers that I have linked to a sudden, persistent and sometimes scary dry cough. Those are:

1. Bitter cold: this causes a wheezing in my chest, and my lungs feel so tight that it is the shallow breathing that causes a cough. It also hurts to cough when breathing in the frigid air of Canadian winters.

2. Extreme humidity: on the opposite end of the cold trigger, is when I am trying to breathe in really bad heat and humidity. I just become very short of breath, which causes a cough. I struggle with fatigue during these days as well.

3. Secondhand smoke: unfortunately this has sent me to the hospital in the past. When I’ve entered/exited a store and someone is standing in the doorway with a cigarette (even though by law, smokers have to be 9ft away from the store entrance) I try and hold my breath walking past them. Sometimes it is too late for me to recognize smokers, and any hint of secondhand smoke that I breathe in triggers a terrible cough for me. I’d have to say this is probably the worst cause of my dry cough right now.

Do any of these three triggers apply to you, and cause your dry cough to start or increase as well?

replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.