Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Esbriet and side effects management ideas

• Esbriet and side effects management ideas

Posted by Deleted User on June 30, 2021 at 5:39 am

Hi all, My father will be starting on Esbriet in a few days time and i wanted to get an idea of what foods and eating habits has helped you guys with GI side effect management/elimination?
    I have read that taking the pills during meals is a good idea, having protein rich food is another one, BUT it would be much appreciated to get a more specific picture of:
    How many meals do you eat a day?
    What specific protein food have been the most helpful?
    Do you eat 8 hours apart? (not very practical to have a meal before bedtime)
    What NOT to eat?

Any personal experiences would be very helpful as we all know the alternatives to not managing this medicine are limited.

Best of health to all and many thanks!!

Russell Jalbert replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Rob Tyler

July 7, 2021 at 7:13 am

Lnour: I have been on ESBRIET for 3 years. I have not had any issues with ESBRIET, regarding foods. I started off like most with one pill, taken 3 times a day, for a week.. Then moved to 2 pills, 3 times a day,  for a week. Then to the 3 pills, 3 times a day, thereafter. Every body reacts different to ESBRIET. I do take mine 4 hours apart (minimum).  I did take it with something on my stomach during the first year. Now it is not necessary  for me to take it with food. I did have a side effect from ESBRIET,  which was insomnia. I reduced my dose gradually, to one pill, 3 times a day, stayed on this dose for a couple weeks, then built my way back to 3 pills, 3 times a day. ESBRIET Nurse told me Amitriptyline is used by many, and with good results, for insomnia. I took Her advice, and have been very pleased. Best advise I have: once started, try to keep at least a daily dose of 3 pills(267 mg ea) in your system. If you need to take one in the morning, two at lunch, an one for dinner, so be it. Try to reach the goal of 3 pills, three times a day. The drug has helped me maintain my disease. It is not a cure.

Wish you the best.

• Christine McCann

August 2, 2021 at 3:13 pm

I had some issues with upset stomach at first until I started swallowing the pills with a bite of food in my mouth at the same time, any thing worked, half a banana was the easiest but I have done it with other things bread, crackers, almost anything enough to swallow with the pills. It worked very well for me.

• Russell Jalbert

August 3, 2021 at 7:16 pm

Hello Lnour, I started Esbreit in March 2021 after 15 months on Ofev. I am VERY glad I did because my GI problems have been dramatically reduced. It was so bad (10-15 x per day) , I was thinking of just giving up on the IPF meds. My Pulomonolgist suggested trying Esbreit First, and I have been extremely grateful to her.

• Russell Jalbert

August 3, 2021 at 7:17 pm

Hello Lnour, I started Esbreit in March 2021 after 15 months on Ofev. I am VERY glad I did because my GI problems have been dramatically reduced. It was so bad (10-15 x per day) , I was thinking of just giving up on the IPF meds. My Pulomonolgist suggested trying Esbreit First, and I have been extremely grateful to her. I’ve not experienced any sun sensitivity, and much Much MUCH improved GI.