Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Excessive cough during sleeping time

• Susan Howitt

September 3, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Hi Heather

Sorry about your husbands diagnosis.

For some people Prednisolone works for other Gabapentine  (French spelling on both) I have tried both and for me they both work. Both are prescription, at least here they are.

Best of luck  Sue

• Mark Koziol

September 4, 2020 at 6:13 am

Hello Heather, I was about the same age as your husband when I was diagnosed with ipf. I am sure his co-workers know in their heart something is going on with your husband if they are making comments. People who are healthy don’t cough all the time. If has ipf they usually don’t prescribe prednisone to ipf patients but prescribe mostly for pulmonary fibrosis patients. Gabapentin has worked for some members and if you scroll up on this forum topic you will find some articles and also others experiences with gabapentin. Please talk to his pulmonologist and hopefully they can ease the coughing. It sounds like your husband will be a good candidate for transplant if need be. Some centers try to avoid prescribing anything else but an anti-fibrotic medicine if he will qualify for a transplant. Good luck, Mark.

• Paul

September 8, 2020 at 2:55 pm

A word of caution.  I have been living with cough drops nearly 24/7. They do work. I have not had a cavity in at least 15 years.  The last dental check up revealed 10 cavities. The dentist attributed them to sugar from the cough drops plus dry mouth from not drinking enough water. Be careful out there.

• Mark Koziol

September 8, 2020 at 3:29 pm

Hello Paul, thank you for sharing about the dental dangers of eating too many cough drops. You bring up a valid point about the sugar content in a cough drops. I have never associated that could be a problem. The dry mouth I have found to be true because of the cough drops. They always make me thirsty. Thank you again for sharing, Mark.

• Susan Howitt

September 8, 2020 at 3:39 pm

Dry mouth seems to go with the syndrome and dry mouth equals cavities without the antiseptic properties of saliva, that is what I have been told.

Page 2 of 2