• Posted by Susan Howitt on September 1, 2020 at 5:55 pm

Can any one else feel their fingers and toes actually changing shape?

Can’t say it is painful but very uncomfortable, wakes me up with the throbbing, all my toes have changed shape, have three different shapes there, the large round version (big toes) with a downward turn that starts in the middle of the toe nail.  Severely downward cured nails that turn so tightly over the end of the toe that they dig in and parrot beak nails in the smaller toes.

Have a prettier version in my fingers, more like tubular nails, found out that if I let them grow long they can’t curve so badly, one little finger had a very short nail, now grown, it now looks bizarre, the whole last joint is far bigger than the rest of the finger..  Thumbs nails haven’t yet changed but the flesh pads are now quite large so they are about to change.

Susan Howitt replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • JillT

September 2, 2020 at 4:30 am

I’ve never been aware of changes as they happen – just periodically notice that they’re worse than they used to be. I always think of miniature drumsticks when I look at them in profile. Also ran across a recent issue that had happened previously but didn’t recognize the cause at the time. I barely have fingerprints left – I cannot set up my smart phone to recognize any fingerprint. Something similar happened years ago at a job where a thumbprint was require to clock in/out. Would have numerous failures. My fingers are so “fat” that the ridges are barely visible (except when I get very high blood glucose when they change to looking like I’ve been soaking in water for hours and look all “pruney” instead).

I had the clubbing a long time before I was even diagnosed with IPF – in fact a co-worker who’d known someone who died of IPF mentioned the symptom to me about a year before I was diagnosed via HRCT. I didn’t take her seriously at the time; it was only when I was diagnosed that I thought, ‘oh wow, she was right!’

Not sure if it’s age or shape of the nails now, but I’ve developed very strong vertical ridges as well and the nails themselves are very brittle. I have to keep them trimmed very short or they break very easily. Toe-nails are very curved like you describe and I have to keep them short as well or I sure they’d end up becoming ingrown – worse on my smaller toes than the big toe.

• Susan Howitt

September 2, 2020 at 8:09 am

Hi JillT

Although your reply hasn’t yet come up on the forum I am replying anyway.  Found it very interesting and promptly looked at my finger prints, true I haven’t got any except for first finger on left hand.  Just think what we could do if dishonest !!! lol. My fingers are only fat downwards and as my nails seem to be exceptionally strong I could grow them and that seemed to keep the worst of the downwards bend at bay except on the fingers that were already short  Looking at my fingers from on top you wouldn’t know there was anything wrong but sideways they are bizzare. I have been complaining of shortness of breath for the last 7 years but only two years ago was I taken seriously after a severe exacerbation.  Finger and toe changes very recent, the exact opposite to you. Mine are quite ridged length wise.