Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Flying with Supplemental Oxygen

• Flying with Supplemental Oxygen

Posted by Charlene Marshall on March 20, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well.

I just recently booked a domestic flight to visit a friend on the west coast of Canada yesterday, and will need to bring my supplemental oxygen with me. I have never had trouble flying with my personal oxygen concentrator (POC) on some airlines, however, the airline I booked with yesterday is giving me some trouble. Another member of the forums recently connected with me privately and asked about my experience of flying with oxygen. I’d be curious to hear your experiences. Have any of you flown with oxygen, and did you have to do preparations in advance (ie. get a medical form to the airline) and what were they? How did you feel when you flew? Do you have any tips/tricks to share?

Another wonderful columnist wrote a piece about flying with oxygen that can be found here: https://pulmonaryfibrosisnews.com/2018/03/13/pulmonary-fibrosis-challenges-traveling-oxygen/

I am also going to compile some of the tips/tricks that I have to share and reply momentarily, but I’d love to hear from you all as well.

Thanks in advance for sharing. I am confident that your experience will assist other patients with successfully planning their vacation(s) in future.

Regards,
    Charlene

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • aliciahelfan

May 1, 2018 at 7:55 am

My mother has been flown with the oxygen and her experience’s good enough. She has flown to Hollywood in the flight with oxygen equipment so that she can have proper amount of oxygen in the flight also.These medical equipment are very tough to taken while traveling and i am glad that my mom have traveled with it safely.

• Charlene Marshall

May 1, 2018 at 8:11 am

Hi Alicia,

Thanks so much for your contribution to this thread, and sharing your Mom’s experience with travelling with oxygen. I have had a pretty good experience travelling with oxygen as well, so I am glad your Mom was able to be safe on her trip. Ensuring all the proper medical equipment is available and able to be taken on board the aircraft with patients is very important so that the patient can be comfortable and experience shortness of breath. Glad your Mom  had a positive experience! 🙂

Warmly,
      Charlene.