• Getting Back on Track

Posted by mark-koziol on August 27, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Every now and then we find ourselves in a mental state we don’t want to be in. I recently wrote a column regarding my inability to get back to my regular routine after returning from vacation. The column will be published on Thursday in Pulmonary Fibrosis News. I cannot explain why I was in a negative mental state the past several weeks but I do know this is not the place I am most comfortable in. My routine is somewhat mapped out each week and sometimes if adversity presents itself I get discouraged from reaching my set goals for the week.

I have had an extremely hard time getting back to my exercise regimen. Adversity has presented itself to me in the form of back pain. Experiencing this pain has put me in a mental state I have not been in since pre- transplant. I do not think of myself as a sulking person but rather an upbeat individual who is there for others.  I seemed to have gone off track and which has affected my well-being. My eating habits during this time were horrible as well. I usually cook most nights but I had no desire. Most nights, take-out was the option. I think I have righted this ship as I have begun to work-out, and cook on a regular basis again.  I’m beginning to feel like I did before I left for vacation.

I am interested if members can identify with my dilemma. How did you rectify your situation?

linda-williams replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • linda-williams

August 30, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Hi Mark ( @mark-koziol) – I have had an interesting morning listening to raremark  interview RE  IPF and reading Twitter remarks by Kate Bageshaw here on pulmonary fibrosis.  She is so interesting and informative.

I have truly had no schedule and rarely did any exercises other than in daily life work as an RN, mother, and employee in daily life from 14 yrs up. Every once in a while I would get a DVD out and exercise. Meaning to start to do routinely but somehow never got that done. So now, retired, diagnosed with IPF I am doing a routine daily with respiratory rehab here at home at my own timing and convenience. But in the back of my mind I am aware I need to do this yet today. Having a lung disease has finally got me doing it.  Did you exercise routinely before your diagnosis?

As I was busy with tests, seeing Dr’s, selling house of 35 yrs, downsizing, and moving last year besides being fatigued and coughing, I did not start exercising until about a week ago, 15 months post diagnosis.  Now I wish I had done so beforehand.  But I am at 74 years finally doing something and not taking my health for granted.  I believe it took me at least a year to accept my diagnosis and decide to do something proactive and not just accept l”what happens does’ as my mindset.

Now that you have started back on your routines I imagine you will feel better and in more control of your life.  Thank you for being a moderator and of service to us. It does mean a lot to be able to refer to you and Charlene.

Linda Williams

• mark-koziol

September 1, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Hello Linda, sorry for the late reply. First of all, I would like to thank you for being so kind. I enjoy helping out as much as I can. Yes, I used to exercise before my diagnosis. However, my eating habits were not great. I ate unhealthy and knew it but I didn’t change my eating habits until I had to. Lets not rehash the past, you are now exercising and that is all that matters. Small steps and do what you are able to do. I do in fact feel better; mentally and physically after starting up my routine. I think Katie is wonderful as well. She has excellent insights on pf and is always trying to find ways to help out our members. Linda, you are also wonderful and thank you for being an active helping member! Mark

• linda-williams

August 30, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Mark – I am sure you knew who I was speaking of when I said Kate Bageshaw. But her name is Katie Bagshawe.  Linda Williams

• linda-williams

September 1, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Hi Mark! Thank you. So glad you are getting back on routine and feeling better.  I too know I need to change my diet but not easy to do. Have lost between 25-40 lbs more than once but always slowly gain it back. That was before dx of IPF. I did find eating on a smaller plate helped a lot. And no seconds. Don’t do seconds now but need to make meals smaller.  Good luck and thanks again for being a monitor for pulmonary fibrosis news. Linda Williams