• Hobbies

Posted by Deleted User on February 4, 2018 at 2:45 pm

So when your lungs don’t cooperate and you can’t do what you once did for fun what do you do?  What hobbies do you still enjoy with PF??  Watching TV does not count.

Charlene Marshall replied 6 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • Charlene Marshall

February 5, 2018 at 3:14 am

Hi Alex,

This is a really great topic, and I look forward to hearing from others about their ideas as well!

Before my diagnosis in early 2016, I was a very active young adult. I used to play hockey, volunteer, run, work full-time and work on advancing my education through graduate programs. When all of this started to become really difficult for me, due to excessive periods of shortness of breath during the most simple tasks (like climbing stairs) and extreme fatigue, I knew something was wrong. It took me about 13 months to be diagnosed because I kept thinking I just had a cold that wouldn’t clear, and after multiple rounds of puffers, antibiotics, inhaled steroids and prescription medication, I finally went into an ER where my sats were read, and it was determined that my heart was working way too hard. After about 5 months of intense testing (because I was “too young” to have a lung disease), I was diagnosed with IPF. My world crashed because all the things I loved to do, that defined me, I couldn’t do any more. For awhile after my diagnosis, I could continue to participate in some of the things listed above but as my lungs continued to decline and rarely cooperate, I had to give up most of my favourite activities.

Fast forward to now, when my lungs don’t cooperate most of the time ;-), I have had to learn new hobbies and activities that bring me joy. Here are some of my favourites:

• I have become really interested in healthy cooking! I usually hook up my concentrator and putter around the kitchen dragging my O2 hose around and as long as I’m careful, I am able to cook, which brings me a lot of joy and to those around me too.
    • I re-ignited a passion for crafting in the past couple of years. I like to make little gifts for people like knitted hats, scarves and mitts. I like to do this in front of a movie, simply so there is background noise but my focus is definitely on what my hands are doing.
    • I no longer run or play hockey, but I still crave time outdoors. As a result, I’ll take my dog for a walk if I can that day, depending on how my lungs are. If I can’t do that, I throw a ball (using a ‘chuck-it’ toy) in the back yard so I can be stationary and when she brings the ball back I can throw it without using up much energy
    • I have also begun writing and love this! This is such a therapeutic outlet for me, being able to write for PF News and connect with others through platforms such as this has been such a gift. Maybe someday I’ll write a book…
    • I try not to give myself too much “unproductive” screen time, but I have also learned to love some games on my iPad. I try to make them mind games, like ‘words with friends’ or other challenging games (even some trivia) that make me think.

I’m curious to hear what hobbies others have started, or continue to do with their PF? Please share your thoughts with us!

Charlene.

• gil

February 8, 2018 at 2:57 am

Yes, watching TV isn’t a great option, I’ve learned to play Sudoku and some card games. I also spend more time on the Internet learning new things. I discovered that I didn’t have to drop by hobby, I just had to find new ways of expressing it. Since my illness, my hobby, photography, has become a passion, something which keeps my spirit in the here and now and lets me forget about the world including my IPF. I used to go backpacking or camp in areas that had few people. I would use those occasions to shoot (photograph) wild life, flowers, and landscapes. But most of all I cherished the temporary isolation provided by the Sierra Nevada Mountains, the California coast, and the desert. About two years ago, I was unable to finish what I had considered an easy hike. After denials and more attempts, I came to accept that my IPF had now reached the point where hiking in the mountains was a thing of the past. I found new ways to continue with my hobby. One, I visit places that require driving but little walking; and, my brother in law has taken it upon himself to drive me just about anywhere I want to go. I also changed the subject matter. I got into night photography; I can drive to areas where there is little or no light pollution and shoot the Milky Way, planets and constellations. I am also getting into shooting city skylines and other forms of night photography. For instance, I have set up Hummingbird feeders and have learned to shoot this beautiful creature; I even recognize a few of them. Also, the Delta is nearby and there are many roads along the winding waterways. I am learning how to shoot Egrets, Herons, Cranes, Pelicans, hawks and other migratory wildlife that stop here on their way South and on their return voyage to the North. Funny, I’ve been here all my life and I really had not noticed how much beauty and wildlife there is here. So for this one hobby, I sacrificed (not by choice) the solitude and peace that comes with a certain type of photography. But I gained a new appreciation for the wildlife in my area and for night photography. As long as I can hold a camera, I will find ways to continue with my hobby. In short, I wish all could find a hobby that becomes a passion and helps bring peace to oneself.

• Charlene Marshall

February 8, 2018 at 3:37 am
  • gil

February 8, 2018 at 4:05 am

Charlene,

Thank you for the kind words.

As for Milky Way, I am setting something up for those shots.  Here is a short video of photographs I took last summer, includes the Milky Way and morning fog; location is mostly Tioga Pass Campgrounds, Yosemite.  I won’t be doing too many trips like that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCxMTbIqB2Y&feature=youtu.be

• Charlene Marshall

February 8, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Hi Gil,

WOW!!! These are incredible! I have never seen anything like this in our Canadian skies. This summer, as long as my lungs can tolerate it, I do hope to go camping in Northern Ontario for just one night, and it is my hope that the skies will be as clear as this. You sure have talent with the camera. Have you ever seen anything like the northern lights? My friend lives in the Yukon and she takes the most beautiful photos of the northern lights! I don’t know if this is something that can be seen from where you are, or if there is anything similar? I’m just thinking about how amazing it would be to photograph them similar to these photos.

Do you have any family members or friends who share this photography passion with you?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
      Charlene.

• gil

February 9, 2018 at 5:44 pm

Charlene,

I would love seeing the northern lights and other northern parts of North America.  The furthest north that I have been is the Oregon border and no, there isn’t anything similar to those northern lights, but we have the Sierras and I can not think of a more beautiful and peaceful area.   There are places in the Yosemite and Sequoia areas which make me feel I am part of creation and linked to everything, a sense all is as it should be….. hard to explain but that is the best I can do

• Charlene Marshall

February 9, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Hi Gil,

I’m going to take a look at what the Sierras are, I’ve never heard of them before. I’m also going to check out Yosemite and Sequoia. Since your last post, I actually connected with my friend Lindsay who lives in northern Canada in the Yukon Territory and asked her if I should share some of her stunning photos with you. I love these images, and can only imagine how amazing it was to see this in person. Aren’t they beautiful? I really have to get out to visit her at some point so I can see this myself too! 

• gil

February 9, 2018 at 10:44 pm

Wow, simply amazing,  I would love to visit there even if I did not take my camera.  Charlene, tell your friend  that I admire her photos, the sunset and wolves image speaks to me, I can look at it for hours.

Sorry, I am so ethnocentric I thought everyone knew about the Sierras, if the gods live on earth they certainly must live in the Sierras.  Yosemite National Park, Lake Tahoe, Sequoia National Park, etc.. are all part of the Sierras, I live in the central valley of California and on a clear day I can see the mountain range.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+Sierras&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

• Charlene Marshall

February 10, 2018 at 5:06 am

Thanks Gil, I will pass that onto Lindsay. She would love to hear this! The picture of what-looks-like 3 wolves is actually her three huskies! Isn’t that neat? She used to be such a city girl, never any pets and always had her hair and make-up finely done and since she moved to the Yukon, where she is the recreation director of lodging, she is definitely one with nature. It is so awesome to see this side of her! She takes her 3 dogs and goes hiking and camping (yes, in sometimes -40 degree weather…. apparently there is special equipment for winter camping, although I’d never do this Lol) for days. It is so cool to see the pictures she shoots after one of those amazing trips!

Wow, thank you so much for the link of the Sierras, so beautiful! I absolutely love the images of the streams running through the valley with the mountains in the background! How refreshing, thanks for sharing!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 10, 2018 at 2:47 am

Gil – good advice, thanks.  I have done some photography in the past and was thinking about doing some more in the future.   The digital cameras available today are just amazing pieces of engineering and can capture wonderful images.  I suppose I don’t need to hike for half a day into the woods to take some interesting shots.   Maybe I should buy a macro lens….

• gil

February 10, 2018 at 3:50 am

Alex,

Yes, digital camera are amazing and macro photography is an art I haven’t tried, but I think I may follow your lead here. A macro lens lends itself to just about any location and subject, likely I will end up buying one, any recommendations?  I have the Sony A7R and the A77ii which is the old Minolta A mount. I actually have a Mamiya 80mm macro lens from the days I shot film but I never got around to using the macro. I guess it is time for me to sell my mamiya sekor stuff, I doubt I’ll ever get into film again.

• Charlene Marshall

February 10, 2018 at 5:10 am

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for joining and creating the hobbies chat. It has helped me learn so much about Gil, and now a bit more about yourself. What kind of photography have you done in the past or are looking into doing again in the future: nature/scenery shots? animals? portraits? There is so much to do with photography, it is a bit overwhelming for me thinking of getting into it (although, I am very crafty with images other people create as I like to scrapbook and preserve images) but it is something I’d like to try someday!

Did you see the images above Alex, of my friend Lindsay’s photos? She now lives in the Yukon here in Canada she takes the most beautiful pictures of the skies and northern lights up there.

Thanks again for sharing a bit more about yourself Alex. What other hobbies do you enjoy?

Charlene

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 10, 2018 at 4:25 am

Gil,

I’ve not done much of any macro shooting so I really can’t advise you.  But since you have a macro lens already why not give it a try?  I think this is the adapter you would need.  Pretty cheap and maybe fun to try, especially if you have other Mamiya lenses.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/m645-snye-p

• gil

February 10, 2018 at 4:46 am

Alex,

Thanks, that’s a good price, the adapter is a lot less than a lens. Besides, it means I will be able to use my other Mamiya lenses.  Sometime in late March or early April I’ll do some macro shooting. Plants will be blooming and there will be many different types of insects, good subject matter for macro shooting.

• lisa-neal

February 13, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Hi,

Absolutely beautiful pictures! I want to learn more about photography. I have Parkinsons also so my slight tremor will sometimes not let me hold the camera still enough. I usually keep it on autofocus and just use the zoom. I love taking pictures and pretending though!! I have taken up Adult Coloring as a hobby. I loved to color as a little girl and i am finding out I enjoy it as an adult too. Please keep sharing the beautiful and peaceful photographs!

Lisa

• Charlene Marshall

February 13, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for your post, and that is exciting to hear of your interest in photography. It sounds like you, Gil and Alex have similar interests! I wonder if something like a tripod would help steady the camera for you a bit, and with that you could maybe spend some time playing around with the different settings? I know that is likely more equipment to purchase, but something to consider for keeping the camera still. As long as you love it, that is what is most important. This is something I’d like to eventually try as well. What types of things do you take pictures of, or more specifically, what type of photography would be your preference to learn more about, ie. landscapes, animals, people? Do you have a preference?

Adult colouring is so therapeutic, I agree! This is actually what I take with me when I am waiting for appointments. It keeps my mind focused and still. I’m glad you’ve re-discovered this passion. Have you seen all the different books available? My favourite is the oceans one as I like to colour with all the different blues.

I will ask Lindsay about sharing a few more of her photos. She takes such amazing photos of the scenery in the Yukon. I  never thought I’d ever want to visit there, but she makes it look so beautiful. I wonder if Gil would share more photos with us too?

I hope you’re having a great day!
    Charlene

• gil

February 14, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Lisa,

Welcome.  What kind of photography do you mostly do?  What kind of  photos do you like?  Over the years I’ve gone from action and people to night photography and shooting wildlife.  Since I don’t hike as much, wildlife now means mostly migratory fowl and birds of prey.

To help steady and take photos, a tripod and a remote will help.  There are different remote types, I have the basic one that has a usb cable connecting the remote to the camera.

Interesting you and Charlene mentioned coloring…. I love drawing and painting.  The IPF has made me stop using oil but I do use acrylic, if I paint.  Since last year my fingers don’t cooperate, the brain sends the signal but the fingers don’t cooperate.  I thought it was arthritis or something like that but if many of us with ipf are experiencing similar problems I better bring this up on my next appointment. The result is that I don’t draw as much as I did before. Another activity that old age or IPF is inhibiting me from doing.

• Charlene Marshall

February 15, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Hi Gil and Lisa,

I spoke with Lindsay about sharing more of her photos and she said she would love for me to be able to do that. She has taken some incredible shots of the northern lights, and beautiful ice on trees etc. as the sun is shining and temperatures are plunging to -40 there right now. I will collect some of these tonight and share them with you! Even I (while not having a photographic eye) appreciate her photos and can sit and admire the beauty within them. The only thing better than seeing them would be experiencing her views in person! Maybe someday….

Gil, one of my colleagues also shoots wildlife and her photos have been chosen in top spots out of 20,000+ images. I’m going to ask her if I can share a couple with you too. I have no idea how she captures such beautiful closeup shots of these wild animals, but they are truly stunning. Stay tuned!

If you do bring up your fine motor movements at your next appointment Gil, would you kindly report back? This is something that I am struggling with too. Especially when I am cold, but just in general now I am having a hard time with fine motor tasks/skills. I can still do them but it is noticeably harder for me. I will ask my physicians about this as well, thankfully my ability to type, write and scrapbook has not been compromised!

I look forward to sharing more photos with you in a few hours. I hope you’re both having a wonderful day!

Cheers,
    Charlene 🙂

• gil

February 15, 2018 at 9:57 pm

Charlene,

I am looking forward to seeing the subject photos, I can spend hours at a gallery, one of the pleasures IPF hasn’t stolen from me.

gil

• Charlene Marshall

February 16, 2018 at 4:37 am

Hi Gil (Lisa, Shaw and other photographer-lovers too),

I spent some time talking to my colleague about you today (hope you don’t mind) and shared your interest in photography, and the specific things you like to shoot with your camera. My colleague is an incredible photographer too, and she was really touched that I wanted to share some of her photos with you. She hopes these give you some pleasure, as you mentioned above, and you are absolutely right – this isn’t something that IPF will ever take away from you.

My colleague, her name is Bea, she also wanted me to share her website with you where she uploads lots of wonderful projects. Here it is:    https://www.flickr.com/photos/beabss

I’ve also attached a couple here! Once you’re through those, let me know your thoughts and I’d love to share them back with Bea. Then I can pass on some of Lindsay’s photos too. Through our conversations thus far on the forums, I’m really starting to love and appreciate the talent of photographers so much more. Enjoy the photos!

Red-Clover-Snack-20230930

• gil

February 16, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Charlene,

Thank you and tell Bea she I like her work,  there were two photos I really liked, my favorite photo is Fracted-Egret, I tried leaving comments but you must be registered, I’ll do that sometime soon. The sandhill cranes is my second favorite photo. I have never seen a bald eagle in the wild, she has some cool shots of that magnificent bird, all were excellent shots.

• Charlene Marshall

February 16, 2018 at 4:23 pm

Hi Gil,

I will definitely pass on this feedback to Bea, she will love to hear from you I am sure. I think she is so talented too, and again, I have no idea how she captures these wildlife creatures so intently and close up. It’s pretty amazing. There are actually a couple of my colleagues who go together and particularly find spots where they can shoot photographs of birds, which I think is really neat. The colours are just exceptional in some of these shots I think!

She would love it if you registered for Flickr and connected about some of her photographs. I’m hoping Shaw and Lisa get to see the ones I’ve attached as well…

Do you  mind if I share some of the links of your work with her, particularly the video the milky way? Since we don’t see that here, I think she would find that really amazing! I didn’t want to do so without your permission though.

Thanks Gil. I hope you’re having a nice day! It is kind of like a spring day here, only colder… but the sun sure is nice to see and it isn’t snowing or raining so that is always welcome.

Cheers,
    Charlene

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 21, 2018 at 1:47 am

Hi Charlene – just some quick comments.

I enjoyed taking pictures of vacations, my kids sports, etc… this is harder because of the physical activity.  I am thinking now of trying different types of photography that would accommodate a less mobile photographer:  macro/product photography and/or portraits.  I still need to get myself organized but I still take photos here and there when I can.

Aside from photography I like to cook.  I am by no means very good at it but I’ve managed to keep all my finger tips despite flailing about with sharp instruments and the food I make is edible.  I rarely set of the smoke detector so it’s all good!

Part of my issue now is that I am blessed to be healthy enough to work and have two teenagers that I love dearly, and who need a lot of driving around, so that is where a lot of my time goes.  It won’t be long before my kids start to drive themselves and they will need their dad less plus I hope to retire in a little over a year.

Take care..

• Charlene Marshall

February 21, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for your reply, it is nice to hear from you!

Those sound like awesome photography subjects: kids’ sports and vacations. I absolutely love taking pictures of travelling and after that, I enjoy scrapbooking with the photos to preserve them for years to come. I can never get enough photos of the ocean, or coastal views and am looking forward to doing more of this in the UK this September. I am glad you are still able to take photos occasionally when you feel upto it. Gil had some neat ideas about how to do some unique photography with limited physical energy/mobility…something to connect with him about maybe?

You comments about cooking, including keeping your finger tips and not setting off the smoke detector, made me laugh amidst the anxiety of waiting for an appointment, thank you for this! Is your passion for cooking something that has newly developed? It is for me, and I’m not sure if it is because I’ve taken more an interest in healthy eating since my diagnosis, or if this is something that just comes as an enjoyment with age and living independently. I’d be curious to know!  I enjoy spending time in the kitchen on weekends trying out new recipes, especially ones that I can save for lunches during the upcoming work week. I have also really started to enjoy juicing. This is a new favourite hobby of mine and I make different mixtures for myself and for friends/family members. It’s really good for me too, since it is 100% fruits and veggies, so that is a bonus!

Sounds like you are blessed I agree, that is wonderful 🙂 Enjoy the moments while your kids are dependent on you driving, but keep in mind that they will always need their Dad! Do you have any specific plans you want to pursue when you retire?

Thanks again for writing.

Cheers,
    Charlene